These made it all worthwhile

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

My coop dahlias have had mixed success. Mostly not so great. These are awesome and make me think maybe I will try again for next year.

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

here is another look

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Any advice on storing these...Last year my poor dahlias shriveled up by spring....I had them stored in layers in shredded newspaper to allow air circulation...I guess too much circulation.

Thumbnail by esw
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh my, what a beautiful color and flower! I shamelessly drool over it. Any chance you know the name? It's a real beauty.

When you say coop, do you mean chicken coop? If so, hats off to your chickens! Or is it co-op, as in tubers you got from an exchange?

Try the Saran Wrap Method- I am newly converted and a true believer after last year's bounty of successfully stored tubers. It takes a little time, but if you want more or to keep a certain tuber going, it's worth the effort.

http://rain.prohosting.com/midahlia/No_Fuss.htm

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

sorry, co-op! lol re chickens...
thanks for the link - I'll have to try it.
Based on a review of the tubers I got this year (the website that is as all labels are now toast) I think it is Jomanda....

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Just lovely, the color is unique. Looks like a pompon, or very small informal decorative.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Jomanda is listed as BB-FD-Or, pinkish orange, blooms 4-6" on 4' plant
I know the FD is for formal decorative so maybe Jomanda is not right?
The two blooms I have are 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" in diameter. The larger of the two has petals that curve underneath almost forming a ball...the smaller has not opened quite as much

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, then you really have a keeper then with that size of bloom. Maybe it is a ball. I am not really crazy about pompons. Used to though. They don't seem to be good keepers when you pick em.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

hmm, hopefully these will keep. The big one had almost fallen off the plant, having bent the stem over and I picked the other to keep it company ;)
Here is a picture of the backside....(They are earning their keep by modeling for my camera)

Thumbnail by esw
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, esw,
Those pictures of the "Jomanda' are very pretty. The color of orange/apricot is so nice.
I store my tubers in sawdust, one layer at a time, and they do fine overwintering. You don't need to worry about air circulation. Just have a dry, cool place to put them in.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's my Jomanda, first year with it; so I can't tell you if this is the norm or not. I think its petals are tighter than your elongated ones, although the size 3.5 -4.5inches is about right.
Interesting that you'd post the backside, because I was just amazed that Jomanda stayed in a bouquet for days and days and finally the hind petals really bearded down and fell off in a grand POOF.

I think you have more coral, or pink tones in your non chicken coop beauty!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Check this out: looks like your shape; very close, if not it exactly. You might have Jomanda!
http://dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Gallery/GalleryHtms/Jomanda.htm

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

sorry to be a board hog, but I think you have Jomanda for sure, now that I looked around a bit. Compare your bloom and nearly the same angle orange bloom bottom left in this bouquet:

Thumbnail by Poochella
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Lovely Poochella - thanks for sharing your mahvelous dahlias! I wish mine had done so well. Thanks for the confirmation too.
Thanks for the tip Carol - I am debating the best way to store these...have a few weeks before the big freeze...

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Jomanda, I think I can remember that name. Thanks for sharing esw, and Poochella for the help. Now I will add this to my list which get longer all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.