Best place to order fruit trees from online.............

Clarendon, TX

Hi -

My husband and I are interested in planting some fruit trees, but are having difficulty finding certain types where we live. I was curious as to whether or not anyone has ordered fruit trees online? If so, where did you order from, and were you happy with the quality of the trees?

Thanks in advance - Krista

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You didn't mention how much experience you have had with fruit trees. The best times to plant trees in Texas are October and January, at least where we are. To be successful with fruit trees you need to provide them with the number of chill hours they require to break dormancy, produce flowers and set fruit correctly. Otherwise the tree wil deteriorate and die. The best place to start is with this site or visit your TAMU Cooperative Extension country agent. A & M produces lists of trees recommended for Texas as well as for your area. You need to find out how many chill hours your county averages each year realiziing that the number can vary up or down significantly at any given year. For example, on average, we get between 650 and 700 chill hours a year. This means I am wasting my money and time growing fruit trees, such as sweet cherries, that require a larger number of chill hours. They will not bloom correctly, not set fruit, slowly decline and die. You also need to find the average "last frost" date. Some fruit trees don't have very high chill hour requirements, for example apricots and almonds, but they bloom so early that a late frost will wipe out your crop every year. With some fruit trees, on the borderline chill hourwise, you may see fruit once every few years. Another thing to consider is how widely your winter temperature varies because that can have a big effect on the way a tree responds. A warm spell in the middle of winter can trick the tree into breaking dormancy early. Talk with your county agent. Tell him what you would like to grow. Ask if the trees you want will grow WELL and produce FRUIT in your area. Some fruit trees may grow in your area, but not produce fruit.
I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions. I could have given you information, but I think you need to have a bit information than just names and places.

Clarendon, TX

We have done a great deal of research in order to determine the types that are suited to our area, the problem is that there are several of the recommended varieties that no one around here seems to carry. I was surprised to find that several places around here were carrying varieties that according to my research, are not recommended for this area! My husband grew up 5-miles from where we live now, and they successfully had an orchard when he was young.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have ordered from Stark Brothers and have always gotten FANTASTIC fruit trees!!!
http://www.starkbros.com/index.jsp

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I've ordered from Stark Brothers, but it was quit some time ago. For the past 8 or 9 years, I have been ordering from RainTree Nursery. The trees arrive in great condition, too. I have found them to be very helpful with any questions I've had. One of my interests is looking for some unusual varieties. RainTree has many. I've seen items that don't grow here too, but reputable nurserymen won't carry them. Of course, some things, given a protected microclimate, might.

What are some of the varieties you are looking for? I wouldn't mind helping you look. Many nurseries wait until late September or early October to stock potted fruit trees and might be willing to order a special tree for you.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.