The Growing Dress

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This was posted in the TIAS newsletter and I thought those of you who do handwork might get a chuckle from it.

Quoting:
The Growing Dress

I was looking at some collectable 1960's retro clothes and spied a crocheted dress similar to one I had made back in 1968 while at school. The memory of that dress brought tears to my eyes as I remembered what happened to it!

It was made in a lovely white crepe 'wool' - painstakingly crocheted in scalloped shell design into a gorgeous mini dress. I worked night and day to get it ready for a dance at my youth club. I succeeded and walked to the hall - just at the end of my road.

When I arrived I noticed the hem had dropped about three inches. Halfway through the night I had to sit down as
the hem reached my knees and by the time I got home it was just below my knees! I removed the bottom rows, hung it up and made it short again - it still looked great. That weekend I wore my new dress to a dog show and yes
- I had to go and sit down when it reached my knees again!

By now the little scalloped shells were the size of enormous oysters so my aunt suggested we hung it up for the week, un-pick it and she would make me a lovely cable sweater.

I wore the beautiful sweater to youth club - the neck got bigger and bigger and the sleeves slowly passed my wrists and the bottom edge crept down from waist to hips! My aunt managed to take it in and make it smaller - and you guessed it - it just kept on growing!

Three times it was taken in and reworked until we admitted defeat! The jumper was un-picked and made into knitted dishcloths and believe it or not they stretched and stretched until we chucked them out! This 'wool' had a life of its own - it never stopped growing.

I have never crocheted another dress!

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!