jasmine as a shrub?

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

i was in my local lowe's the other day and noticed they had a jasmine called Maid of Orleans. the tag said it was an evergreen shrub variety growing 4-5 ft. all of the other jasmine i have seen have been vines. and the smell of the flowers...heavenly!

can anyone tell me more about this shrub variety? the tag did not have any other info on it. i poked around the net a little and most of what i found talked about it being grown indoors. ever heard of that?

does it prefer full sun or shade?
water requirements?
soil requirements?
will it make it through the winter in my area? (zone 7b)

any other info would be great!

thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a variety of Jasminum sambac. PF says zone 11, but I live in 9b and have a Jas. sambac (don't know if it's Maid of Orleans or a different one) in a pot on my patio and it survived last winter just fine (although I think if it had been in the garden it might not have). But since you're in zone 7b you'll probably want to bring it inside for the winter. The spot I have it on my patio probably gets ~4 h of sun each day (mostly in the PM), and I water it a couple times a week during the hot part of the summer. I only got a few flowers this year, so I don't know if it needed more sun or more fertilizer or something else.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55234/index.html

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

no wonder why there were no tags on them....

i knew it was to good to be true!!! i will plant it in a big pot and bring it in as advised.

you would think that the merchant would only sell what grows in your area!! i am convinced it is a total conspiracy-they sell it knowing it will die and you will be back to buy more to replace it!!!

thanks for the info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.