My irises

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I know nothing about irises except that they come back every year, they multiply by rhizomes, and they need to be divided every so often. I've had this clump of variegated bearded iris for YEARS and I've basically ignored it. Until today. The base of the clump was about 12" in diameter and when I dug it up this afternoon, there were 70 individual plants! SEVENTY! No wonder it only had two blooms this year! I'm going to let them dry out a little bit where I split them, then plant them out in my regular garden because I don't know where I really want them in my flower beds. I don't even know what kind or variety they are other than they're bearded and the foliage is variegated.

Advice?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

My only advice is that you get them back in the ground as quickly as possible. It's very late in the season to be dividing and replanting bearded irises. They should ideally have at least 6 weeks before first frost to root in for best chance of survival.

Since you have so many rzs, you might want to consider potting a few and overwintering them indoors in sunny windows to hedge your bet for winter survival.

Happy planting,

Laurie

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It's late for my zone?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Do you have at least 6 weeks before your first anticipated frost?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, it's close...

In any case, they're in the ground now. Just like they were a few hours ago, but with growing room. :-)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Good Job! Water them in good to begin with, keep them just barely damp until frost, and I think they will be fine.

You have almost 6 weeks until first frost? Lucky you. I'm thinking I might have 6 days. Evenings are getting real cold here already.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We're having record highs. In the 90s during the day. It's midnight here and it's still 70°. Of course, that could change quickly this time of year.

Lebanon, OR

Here in full replant of the iris, during the day it has been anywhere from 70-85, dropping down at night to low 40's. Rain Fri-Sat and Sun last...since no rain.

The weather is saying that we have about 4-6 weeks before first frost...it is always a guessing game.

Denise

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm transplanting here in central MO. But sometimes pots in a somewhat sheltered area might be best. Just don't forget to water them somewhat during the winter. That is my biggest fault.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.