Canna spiderman

Louisville, KY

This is a few years old. This was one of my first hybrids. I like it but it's is not for everyone. Here is what it does have bluish leaves with a red rim around them. Bright red flowers with marron to purple stocks. The flowers are bright bright red and the plant gets about 9 feet tall seeds like crazy.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

flower

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

leaves

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

My son would love to know that mommy planted a plant called Spiderman!!! Tell us again why it isn't for everyone???
You really do great work!

Louisville, KY

Well the reason its not for everyone is its taller than what most people like. The flowers are not huge they are not what I would call small but they are not the kind you see on the larger showy type. It also seeds so much you get dried seed heads all over it.
Still its fast it blooms non stop and it was unique enough that I thought it should be released at least for the collectors who like odd things.

Plants like this do not make it to retail because of the reasons above. They want minitures that have huge blooms. I like these but it seems the retailers are all pushing the same kind cannas come in tons of sizes shapes and colors.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I really like it! Years ago, I never liked cannas because all I saw were those dried up seed heads on landscape plants and it looked messy, unkempt. I was all about flowers then, now I have changed my tastes and really like collecting for foliage, varigated, lime, bronzed, LARGE etc., if there's a nice bloom, all the better. This one with the bluish edges is unusual enough to be desirable for the collector. If there is a waiting list, add me to it!

Think you can enhance and compliment that smaller bloom by planting SPIDERMAN daylily with it!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Flower is bright and I luv the color of the leaves. Seeds......this was my first year growing cannas from seeds. They were easy and I did post picture of some that bloomed from seeds.
:) Donna

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

So we have a few seeds... It's tall, so it goes in the back of the bed, can be used as a hedge! Leaves are unique, the flowers is brilliant... I get upset that my Tropicana isnt setting seed. Pretty please may I be allowed to try it in zone 9b - Florida???

Count me in!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I would love to try it. I enjoy the foliage as much as the blooms.
Jan...

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Me too....I like foliage that looks good when flowers don't exist.

Will definitely keep this one in mind for next year!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i want to try this one next year too
lo e the pic
moretz

Louisville, KY

Starting to get the cannas out for spring this one has shown to over winter very well with huge rhizomes. I grew it up to 9 ft last summer I am thinking that is maximum height but will see if it gets much larger this year.

Louisville, KY

This is one of my workers standing next to a more mature plant it ended up about 3 ft taller by the end of the season. I put it in the same class of cannas like Musafolia and omega it large and has its place a lot of gardens. The best part with this is you get the height but also nice flowers and more color than the others.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

The end of the season for Spiderman.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty, Brian

st pete, FL(Zone 10a)

I've got a canna that looks very similar to the spiderman except mine tops out around 4 ft. Any idea what it may be?

Thumbnail by JUNGLEGAL
Louisville, KY

This is a species canna called Canna warszewiczii It was a parent in the spiderman cross. Spiderman has a bit more blue to the leaf and larger flowers and over all size but the color combination is very similar.

Foley, AL

I love it..... but if you collect cannas esp tall ones they will love it...

ely

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I like the tall cannas....especially if they have coloring in the leaves. They make a nice focal point, standing above everything else, even when not in bloom.
MerryMary

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Brian, are Spiderman's seed pods as beautiful as warszewiczii's? I grow them just for the pods. The seeds germinate easily too. a

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

bwilliams
are you going to have any to trade this year? if so i would love to be added to the list please,plmk and thxs
moretz

Louisville, KY

I should have plenty to trade let me know what you have that will interest me thanks. It does have the seed pods and sometimes a bit to many of them I think LOL.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

so you are going to have seeds to trade instead of plants or did i misread that ? lol thxs
moretz

Louisville, KY

I have rhizomes I could trade. I am really looking for Durban the red flowering troicanna like canna and a few other things.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i dont have any cannas to trade but what is the "few other things your talking about? you can dmail me if youd like
thxs
moretz

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Hello bwilliams!
I´m living a little bit away from Florida - just one ocean between us - but i would LOVE to get some of your wonderful Canna seeds! Here in Greece we have got other Cannas, my favorite is also a tall one, wich stands heat and drought quite well. It has long and slim green leaf with purple edges and (for a Canna) quite small orange blossoms. I thought, it could be Canna speciosa, but I´m a beginner and not at all sure ... Nevertheless, I collected lots of seed, so I can trade with everyone, who wants to try the "greek Canna".
I`ll try to put a photo in here ...
And I do have some other things, if the Canna is too popular.

Greetings over the ocean!
Jeanne

Thumbnail by Lixi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.