Tropical look around swimming pool

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

There's not a specific forum for me to post my need for suggestions so I'll leave a post on several threads. Getting ready to install inground pool and I'd love to see some photos from anyone that might have one with a real "tropical look" so that I can "borrow" ideas. I'm in FL Panhandle near Destin. Thanks!

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

No photos, but I know that canna, banana and hibiscus all do well around a pool. And, they're tropical. Best of luck.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

AND,
I have several named variety Cannas that need a good home that I'll be happy to do for postage. I can send you photos if interested.
Thanks,
Emma

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

no pix here either. but I remember I had a friend that built a HUGE pool, so big that there were maybe 5 ft between the edge of the pool and the fence between him and his neighbor. He planted every variety of canna he could find in that five ft strip on two sides of the pool. on the third side, he put big pots with various and sundry colorful plants and the last side he left open for easy access to the pool. It really looked like it was somewhere in hawaii. It so happen that his guest powder room was very near the patio door, so he decorated the bathroom with shells, fishing net and other "beach" mementos. He had the best Luau parties in Edmond, OK, LOL.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

BDunn-Congratulations on your decision to get a pool! We had one put in this year, and MAN! What a lot of work and stress! lol...

It was mostly all forgotten when we were in it, on the weekends in 100 degree weather, though...

Our neighbors down the street have a pool, too, and she's done a amazing job with hers. I think this is what you are looking for, so went over there yesterday to take a picture for you:

She's got palms, bananas, and plumeria in this photo, but the entire pool is surrounded like this, and plants not shown in the picture include: lemon trees, cannas, hibiscus, and others.
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Very important(especially here where it's windy): don't plant flowers that shed leaves and/or flowers on the windward side of your pool. Be sure your mulch doesn't end up in the pool.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I agree with Susie...that is why I showed you my NEIGHBOR'S pool...

We kept ours vegetation free, for about 10-15 feet away from the pool all around...

She loves the look so worth it to her to have to fish leaves and petals out of the pool, but especailly dislikes the gold flame honeysuckle she planted just to the right of the picture...she says it drops flowers constantly...

THAT, she says, is coming OUT!

Crepe Myrtles are another one that become nightmares to keep out of the water...
-T
-T

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Impatiens, begonias, anything with fleshy petals. Royal Poinciana, brugmansia, things that lose leaves in the fall and also bananas. Yes bananas, they flower and the little flower parts fall on the deck plus the big fleshy petal thingies fall on the deck and land in the pool. Bananas are great around the pool as long as they don't flower(or if they do flower, be sure it's not hanging over the pool deck). Queen palms shed massive amounts of flowers when they bloom and the honey bees love the flowers plus the seeds are a pain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.