need help - lost a piglet!

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi ya'll, for those of you who don't know me yet, I just became a farmer a couple years ago when I got fed up with city life and bought a few acres in the middle of nowhere. The last few weeks we have cross-fenced off a corner of the pasture and made it into a pig pen. We figured that we could add one pig to the farm and fatten it up for a few months on good, clean feed (no steroids or antibiotics) and have it butchered in December. Saturday I bought the 6 week old piglet for $50 and put her in the pen. I named her Christmas Ham. Sunday morning our Christmas Ham was gone!

At the risk of making this sound silly - we spent all day yesterday trying to catch the piglet. We tried everything from nets to live traps and my DH even tried the old football tackle. We got our hands on her a few times but couldn't hold her. She is the fastest lil critter I have ever seen. She is currently hiding in the woods so it has been possible to find her but impossible to catch her since she can run through the brush with lightning speed. So far we have scrapes and scratches and bruises and aching bones and possibly poison ivy but no pig.

Any advice from you real farmers out there on catching one lil piglet?

This thread has 58 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!