starting perennial seeds in a greenhouse in the fall

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi - I'm new to this site. My sister and I have built (oh yea, along with our husbands!) a greenhouse. We turned an old shed into the greenhouse. We'd like to start perennials from seed, and I heard we could start them in the fall in a greenhouse. Has anyone had any luck with this? Any suggestions, comments, help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

How great! There are several you could get a head start on and have blooms next year. Rudbeckias, violas, aquilegia, dianthus, hollyhocks, shasta daisies, and salvias come to mind, but the sky's the limit! If you're in to trading, you can trade your extras in spring for things that are not as easy to start from seed. Have fun, Neal.

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Neal - Thanks for the support and ideas!! Will try your suggestions - especially the trading in the spring! Thanks - Karen

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

kabob--For an easy way to start many plants be sure to look up the

Winter sowing method... http://www.wintersown.org/

and Tom Clothier's seed germination database is loaded with good information

http://tomclothier.hort.net/

And be sure to do a search for seed starting on the DG database and especially Propagation Forum. Search for info on starting seeds using the 'baggy method' and the 'coffee filter' method and it will bring up some good tips and methods for you.

You and your sis will have lots of fun and happy seed starting this winter! t.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

hkabob, Welcome to Dave's Garden! Sounds like a wonderful project, and just the place for support, encouragement and advice. What zone are you? That will also tell which plants to start now. How I wish I could start a greenhouse full of plants this fall. Take and post pics and keep us up to date on your progress.

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your advice and encouragement! Tabasco - thanks for the links - I will follow up with them! Leisurlee - here's a picture of our greenhouse - we're in Zone 5b. Karen

Thumbnail by kabob
Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

And here's a look inside!

Thumbnail by kabob
Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

One more

Thumbnail by kabob
Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Last one, I promise! LOL

Thumbnail by kabob
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh man. What I wouldn't give for a greenhouse like that.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful place to escape to! How great to have it! I can only dream...!

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks - it IS a dream come true - thanks to my DH and my sister's DH!! They - along with my sis's and my help (!) turned an old shed on our farm into the greenhouse. It's taken a couple of months of hard work, but well worth it! Karen

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Magnificent looking greenhouse, kabob!

what are you growing in there now? looks like some tropicals?

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, tabasco! Yes, we've got some hoyas, epiphyllum, cannas, mandevillas, a bomarea and two lapagerias that I hope I won't kill, some crotons and ferns, and oh my - LOL. We keep telling our DH's that we need MORE plants, and as I list them, well.......and my sister has a gazillion (!) cacti and succulents! Karen

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Kabob...
OH HOW COOOOOL! I wish IIIIIII had a greenhouse like that.
OH, wait! I DOOOO...cuz I'M THE SISTER! LOL

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, wow! Those pics are GREAT!

I'm in Zone 5.... I have a handy DH...... Hmmmm..... No old shed though. Sigh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.