New Trellis here

Dallas, TX

I got several different Clematis here.(on the left hand side of the jute string) One is Niobe for sure...forgot the name of the other two or three. I am needing to know if these will continue to grow on the old wood? they have been laying on the ground before I put up this trellis ....and now I see a lot of new growth.
...should I leave them there or cut them back before the weather gets bad? Any feedback will be appreciated.
Sylvia

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I think they are young enough you should just leave them as they are.

Hard to say on the pruning, since you don't know the names. There are many different clematis and many different pruning requirements. Some need a hard prune in spring or Fall, others only light pruning after blooming.

Once your gain in size and age, and bloom enough to help you ID them, you can start to look up the pruning schedules for them.

Sorry cannot be more help...

For the time being, you could at least look up "niobe,pruning" on google, and research at least that one...
-T

Dallas, TX

Ok ...... Terry! .......went back to my SH invoices. first one is Niobe...the others are Polish Spirit.

here is one I had for years. it's been beat up and destroyed so many times....but keeps coming back. Do you know the name? I know its not Jackmanii.
Sylvia

This message was edited Sep 12, 2005 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

another pic of same plant...different location ....since they rebuilt the fence and the honeysuckle is gone....I am worried that its not going to make it up the trellis.

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia

It could be will goodwin, or h.f. young?

Glad you found your names!!

Don't worry, clematis are tough. They'll recover and make it back up the trellis before you know it...
-Taylor

Dallas, TX

Thanks "Taylor":)
those name dont sound familiar :( anyway cant wait for my Alabast to come in from WFF. its a beauty!
sylvia

Sylvia-
The seiboldii and blue light are two I really like.

I'll have to look up alabast...not familiar with that one...
Definitely sounds like you are on a clematis collecting roll!
-Taylor

Dallas, TX

Clemitis and Hostas are my babies. hhmmm that Seiboldii sound familiar....
Sylvia

Here is a link to the sieboldii
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/spring/z33026.75219.html

Dallas, TX

OMG Taylor! ...that Clemitis for 8.50? were you able to get in on it before they sold out? keep me posted if you see more deals like that. :)

Sylvia

Unfortunately, no...I keep going to that site every month, or so, to see if they've restocked...
Wayside ran out of them, too...
-T

Dallas, TX

TOO BAD........:(

Dallas, TX

Oh Dammnnn Taylor...I put the whole collection in my cart! lol ....eleven clemitis for 72.00 from Wayside is a deal!
dont you think?

Yes, LOL...I think it is a great deal...
I didn't mean to be your enabler! lol...
Glad you liked them! Are you going to tell you spouse that I'M to blame? lol...
Then, again, it is a great deal, and perfect time of year to be planting them...
-T

Dallas, TX

Thank goodness, I dont have a spouse to worry about or I would in a lot of trouble right now. in the process of ordering 150.00 in hostas and now this. :)
will probaly cancel the Alabast from WFF. I hate/love this time of year! lol
Sylvia

Sylvia- I do have a spouse and am constantly in trouble! lol...
very much like "Lucy and Ricky", lol...
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.