Grapevine Bonsai

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Anyone here have one or do one?

I've always admired them when I've seen them for sale (usually for between $25 & $75), & now that I'm faced with a short stretch of 15-20-year-old concord grapevines that either need to be cut down or dug up & moved (the area around them has just become far too shaded for fruit production), I was wondering if it might be worth it to try & pot one up & try to condition it for an eventual bonsai specimen.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah, but wait until winter to bring it up from the ground. I would consider keeping it in a pot larger than the intended bonsai size for at least a year, and I would also suggest trimming that monkey back HARD (down to about 3 feet) before bringing it up from the ground (trim and uproot in December, I believe).

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks - it will probably take me that long anyway to work down my list of fall gardening chores anyway - lol!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

lol ... I hear ya! I hope I am not risking too many plants by waiting until Sunday Oct 2nd to begin such things. I have two more parties between now and then in the backyard and I'm sort of excited about things looking the way they are (totally re-did/seriously expanded the pond, added over 5,000sf of garden space around it, etc.) So long as we don't get any overly cold nights before then, I hope to be alright. Some of these tropicals that are new to me have me somewhat worried though. I've already lost my Alocasia Robusta and the A. brancifolia isn't looking so great either.

Good news for you is, you *have* to wait until the grapes are fully dormant before transplanting. Wow, a 15 year old vine, huh? That sort of ups the risk factor, but it's really worth it. If it makes it, you should have a real beauty on your hands in a year or so!

Keep me posted!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - they were planted by the original owners of the house in a frankly idiotic spot surrounded by trees. Since we know when the house was built, we figure the age at a minimum of 15 years.

I'd like to try to transplant some of them to a better area on the property, but also thought I'd like to pot a couple up & try them as bonsai.

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I'm working on one at the moment....I bought a grape vine for $4-5 at Walmart of all places and I'm turning it to a Bonsai. I have lots of wild grapes on my property but this was actually easier

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.