trapped! anyone recognize this?

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

Help! This beast built a huge web across my back door last night and I am afraid to go out back!! I took a pic of his underbelly last night (will post that next), and took this one of his scariness this morning.

Is this guy a risk to my pets, or me??

Any ideas on how to safely get rid of him? Whether relocating him to a new location, or terminating his yuckyself.

Help!

Thumbnail by misskaffee
BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

and here is his underbelly.. (ew)

Thumbnail by misskaffee
(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Do you have any reason to believe he's poisonous?

He doesn't look like any of the verities that I know to watch out for, but I'm maybe not the best person to talk to. I keep an eye on my spiders, but as long as they aren't in the house, aggressive, or positively IDed as poisonous, I just let them live. I might have Hobo spiders living in the door to my shed, or they might be domestic brown spiders. They're funnel spiders and kind of creep me out, but as long as they don't come inside and stay skittish, I figure their benefits outweigh the possibly bad effects. If the spider is bothering you, I'd just move it to somewhere off your property, or on your property but out of your way.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

misskaffe - this is a type of orb weaver (family Araneidae) probably in the genus Araneus. It's not poisonous, and it isn't aggressive. You should be able to easily move it using a plastic cup or a stick.

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much for the insight! I ended up sort of just moving his web to the other side of my door (with a very long stick!!) I believe he is still happily living along the side of my house. Glad to see there was no need to panic, and that my gigantic-baby of a dog beast is safe. :)

Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge I always find here. What a wonderful site!
Thanks again, -misskaffee.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Looks just like the ones we called barn spiders that spin large webs in horse barns and garages were large meadows, hay and stuff are close by.

Not poisonous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.