lime sulfur

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know where to buy lime sulfur to help roses become dormant? Is it called Lime sulfur?

Eureka, CA

Hi.... just found this while looking for something else. Try posting it on the rose forum, if you haven't yet.

I purchased some wettable sulfer this fall while storing some dahlia tubers. And I think it's the same stuff you might be talking about. I got it at a garden shop - not just a Home Depot or whatever, but a small, specialty garden shop. But, try the rose forum!

Good luck,

Sanna

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't grow roses any more, for a number of reasons, but I hadn't heard of this use (to induce dormancy). My use of this product has been to kill overwintering eggs of pests which harm fruit trees. I purchased a kit from my nursery which contained a bottle each of lime sulphur and dormant oil, which you mix together in water (the oil is miscible in water) and spray on the trees. It suffocates and kills eggs and egg masses of the various insects which eat the foliage and burrow into the ovaries of fruit, causing major damage to the tree and its fruit. It also inhibits the growth of scab and other fungi that form on the fruit. I've seen it in many garden centres; but there may be restrictions on its sale in the US (I'm in Canada).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.