Water bath canning

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Water bath canning is really the only method I have ever used and am comfortable with. I can't put a huge water bath canner on my snotty smooth top stove. Too big, too heavy. Very disapointed. But I have an idea and I need some feedback on whether or not it will before I try it. I am still a canning novice.

I do have a tall stock pot that hold at least 5 gallons and fits very nicely on my big burner. I use it to boil hens. I thought if I just put 3 jars or so in at a time, I could still can at my house. As it stand, I have to wait til my friendly neighbor is ready to can so I can use her stove. Not that I don't like it! I just like being independant too. The only problem I can forsee now , is the rack issue. I have no rack to put inside to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot.

Any suggestions? I'd love to start pickling this year.

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!