New babies - How many?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, they've come to the world. I almost forgot I sowed clematis seeds 4 months ago.

How many baby clematis - sweet autumn? 9 or 4? I sowed around 12 seeds in this little cup in May 12, 2005. This picture is taken this morning, September 7, 2005. I am not sure when the first baby showed up.

I wonder why the youngest one is taller than the other ones, and second to youngest is a little yellow. What should I do at this point?

~Eliza~

Thumbnail by kateliza_id
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Eliza-
I saw four...

You should let them grow a little bit more, before trying to separate them. Right now they just have their cotyledons(or "true leaves"). These true leaves are the leaves present from the initial development of the seed.

They have just enough energy stored in them to develop a root and get the seedling started. Once your seedlings have produced their first, or second set of actual new leaves, they can gently be transplanted into other containers, such as 4" pot, or quarts.

Another reason you might want to wait, is that some of the other seeds might be ready to germinate in the next few days...I'd suggest you wait a couple more weeks, to see if any more sprout, and when you feel no more will sprout, and the ones that have sprouted have new leaves, then you are ready to transplant, and give them their first (diluted) dose of fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.