LITTLE BLESSINGS

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

My sister in law called me last night...We cut a tree that fell on her fence Saturday, and there was a squirrels nest in it. It had 4 lil babies....well she let her 2 dachshunds sniff 2 of them. Later that day when we were done, I had my hubby put them back on top of the house. He tied the basket we put them in to a vent pipe.
I did not sleep that night, wondering if Mommy squirrel came back to get them. I drove him nuts til we went back to her house to check on them Sunday. Mom was not with them...but they were wiggly(their eyes are not opened yet.) So he moved them down to the privacy fence.
She called me last night to tell me mom took 2 and left 2. So I ran down there and got them.
They are precious. One lil boy and one lil girl. I am worried about the lil girl, she is not eating like the lil boy...but she is eating. So I have something new and exciting to keep me busy every 4 hours for awhile.
My husband did not want me to bring them home. But after a few long discussions about it being a sin to just let them die, without TRYING to help, He gave in.
I found a web site that told all about raising little squirrels...so I went to the vet and got a can of powdered dog milk, and an eye dropper. Boy they learn Real Quick, where the food comes from.
I have no idea how old they are...but I hope they will live and I can let them go here in the yard to live a long and happy life!!!!

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Here is another pic...maybe it will be a little clearer...

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

DH raised some baby squirrels after their mom was hit by a car. I'll ask him about it when he gets home from work.

Good Luck with them,

mg

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

THANKS!! That would be great. I need all the help I can get!!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

omg - they are so cute! I am one of the strange ones that actually feed the squirrels along with the bird. They have they're own platform feeder, corn cob feeder and peanut holder. Good luck with your babies.....

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much. I am a little worried about the baby girl. She drinks so fast that the milk comes out her lil nose and then she chokes. I might have to go to a syringe to feed her. I love the squirrels in the yard too. I also feed them. They are ALL Gods critters, and need someone to care a little for them. LOL

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are so entertaining. I am still trying to get a picture of my vampire squirrel - our nickname for the one that gets on the upside down suet feeder and literally hangs upside down from his nails on his back feet like a bat to get at it. smart little buggers. I hope your little girl does ok.... keep us posted, please.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Milk is hard to handle with little ones and an eye dropper. See if you can find a bottle with a tiny nipple that might work better. I used one designed for kittens with my guinea pigs with great success and I have heard that sometimes doll's bottles will work. IF your babies are old enough (I can't tell from the pic, but they look pretty young yet) they may be able to drink from the edge of a spoon held by you and that will also help with not getting too much at once.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Their eyes are not open yet, so they are really young I think. I will have to try to find some kitty bottles. I will do a web search in a min. Maybe I can get them sent overnight...or maybe I should call my hubby and see if I can get him to stop by a pet store and pick me up one. Thanks for the GREAT tip!!
I will keep you all posted...please everyone...keep your fingers crossed that I can raise these lil jewels. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

Vampire Squirrels!! Gotta love it!!!

Ok, Dh says:

It's been 25 years, so I've forgotten a lot. Mine were younger than yours, they didn't even have all of their hair yet at first. I was able to raise 4 out of 6. I used a formula of half & half and a few drops of orange juice, but I don't remember the proportions. I got it from a rehabber in my area, so try calling the DNR, or a known rehabber. Doll bottles work better than eye droppers, you just have to poke a hole in the nipple and make sure you can take the top off easily. Or I think Petsmart carries kitten bottles that would work ok. It is better for them to suck, a dropper could get stuff up the nose and choke them. Keep them warm and clean.

Once the eyes open, you are mom. They will imprint to the first living thing they see. They will need you for several months, so be prepared. Mine stayed around the house for a couple of years after I turned them loose and tried to get back into the house more than once. One female kept bringing her babies around for me to see, I think she wanted me to take them in, ha ha.

Sorry I can't remember more. End Dh.

mg says- If he thinks of anything else, I'll let you know. I think the best thing you can do is call a few rehabbers that have raised squirrels. If you are going by what is on the net, hit several sites and find the same info on each before you try it.

Be prepared for the worst, just in case tho, ok?

{hug}

mg

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh, the other thing I just thought of (and you may already know) is that many baby animals must be stimulated to eliminate at this age. It can cause very big problems if they are not passing waste.

Lyndonville, NY

OUr wildlife rehaber uses goats milk for the baby squirrels, keeps them warm and also said to stimulate with cotton ball for bowel movements and urine, just like a mom would lick them. She said the warmth is just as important as the food! She sometimes sticks the smaller ones in her bra for warmth. Now that is love!

I have squirrels that now come up to the window and tell me the feeder is empty, drives the inside cats crazy!

Good luck
Debbie

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

We raised 3 baby squirrels to adulthood in our home. For six weeks we fed them every four hours (yes, in the night) and we took them to work with us in a carrying cage every day. We commuted 140 miles round trip everyday so they became quite the little travelers. I mixed dried puppy "milk" that you buy at the pet store with heavy whipping cream and fed them with a baby animal bottle which I also got at the pet store. We kept them until they were about 3 months old and obviously ready to be released. We built three squirrel houses for them in our woods, and when we released them they all went in their houses. We provided soft rags in the bottom of each house for them. When we came back to check on them the first morning after they were released, they were all in the same house peeping out the door. A cuter sight you will never see. We weaned them onto the foods they would eat in our woods, fruits, berries, hickory nuts, walnuts and acorns. We ground those up at first then gradually gave them chunkier pieces until they could crack nuts themselves. When they become sexually mature, they will start biting. They also become increasingly territorial with each other and you know it is time to let them go. They recognized us for about 6 months and then gradually became acclamated to the wild. If they had not been so vicious with their bites (unintentional on their parts, of course), I would have loved to have kept them forever, but I also couldn't make myself keep them in a cage when they had an ideal place to go. It was hard to raise them, but one of the most fun experiences I've ever had.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

MG...
Thank you both so much!! I will go tomorrow and pick up a Kitten bottle. You are so right about the dropper. The lil boy has it down pat...but the lil girl chokes all the way thru feeding, and that scares me so much. I went back to the syringe this afternoon and she is doing much better with that.
I was feeding the diluted canned milk with 2 drops of puppy lixatonic added to it. The my hubby brought me in a can of powdered dog milk, so I gave them some of that...they stopped pottying...so I have gone to a tad of dog milk, a tad of water, and a tad of canned milk with 2 drops of lixatonic, and they are going poo again and eating it like crazy. So I hope I am ok and they will make it. I am using a warm wet paper towel to make them go...but I see in their lil box, that they are doing real good on their own...I have to change the bedding twice a day now. It looks like mouse poo so I believe they are doing ok.

SYLVI74...
I remembered that from hand raising puppies and kitties. Thanks!!

DEBBIESDAISY...
How neat!! That would be so cool!! But poor kitties...I can just imagine what they are saying!! LOL

LGW728....
What a great thing!! I plan to move them into my plant room when they start running around, and do like you did...feed them natural foods, maybe even hide the nuts and such so they will have to look for it like they would in the wild. But that is a GREAT idea about grinding heir food up a bit!! I had not thought about that...but that would be much easier for the lil guys to eat!! Thanks so much for that tip!! And a box is also another great idea!! Since I have them on old t shirts now...the rag in the box would make them feel more at home!!
Boy there are so SMART folks out there !!!! Thank you ALL for all your help!!!! I have never raised a baby squirrel before, and want so bad for them to make it and go back to the wild and have a HAPPY life!!!
Thanks again so much everyone. I will keep watching this thread if anyone else has any experience and ideas...PLEASE let me know!!!
(photo is my plant room...It has sliding glass doors to divide it from the main part of the house)
Sue

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh they are so sweet! I had 2 that were blown out of their tree during last years hurricanes. I finally gave them up to a rehabber, broke my heart! Here's the link if you'd like to see it. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/455979/

Best of luck to you and your babies!

Stacey

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

My husband reminded me of a few more things we did while taking care of the squirrels that you might want to consider. We got a large cage-the kind large parrots are in-about 4 feet tall and 24" wide. It had many different levels and they had a great time in there playing. We also provided lots of squares of T-shirt like cloths-we actually used commercial paint rags for them. They liked to carry them around and they slept between them. We also washed them everyday as they used the bathroom on them, but they seemed to love them. I will have to tell you this because it was so CUTE!! When they got big enough to eat nuts in the shell, we would give them two or three at a time. Of course, they had to bury one under the blankets for later. We also found out that if we gave them 2 or 3 while we were holding them, they would try to bury them on us!! They would put an acorn under the collar of our shirts, pat them down real well, and think they were buried. Of course they would fall right out, and they would just stare at them on the floor or wherever like they were saying "oh-well!!" At the time we had them,I had long hair which I wore in a ponytail. They would lift up my hair and try to bury nuts in my hair or under my pony tail. My husband and I laughed for hours over how darling they were doing this. One thing I need to caution you about, when ever they are old enough to be released, they will have no idea how to judge distances between tree limbs and they think they are super squirrels. They will run out and try to jump from one tree to the other even if they're 25 feet apart. We had one miss from about 75' up in a tree and fall the entire way. Luckily it did not hurt him, but we thought it had killed him. It's best to take them out to try out saplings and short trees for a while. Of course they can climb like bandits, and they are so glad to be on trees that they put on a great display of what can only be described as joyful behavior-jumping, twisting, running fast, rolling on the ground, etc.
One more sweet thing I have to tell you about. We live in a log house, and we attached a wood duck box to our house outside for our first squirrel, Rascal to live in. He absolutely loved it, but he wanted a home of his own making also, so he built a nest of leaves and twigs on the corner of our house, and he slept in there unless it was raining or cold. As I am tryping this, my husband is telling me to tell you to be sure and not get sticks from the ground or yard and put in their cages. We read on the internet that these sticks had bacteria, etc, that could be harmful to the squirrels unless you sterilized them (How do you sterilize a stick??!!) We got them some clean small pieces of wood to chew on because they are supposed to have wood. I'll keep up with this thread because I'd love to know how they're doing-also more pictures would be great. Linda

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for the link...FLA I'll bet it was heart breaking to let them go...but sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do. My heart goes out to you!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing that!! It is so nice to see there are so many folks who TRUELY care about the helpless and innocent little animals in the world!!

LINDA...
I found a website about raising babies..the guy said he took a clear tote box and cut a square in the top and taped screenwire to it for air holes...so at 3 this morning...I went out to the shop, emptied a clear tote storage box with the locking lid...and drilled holes in it. My hubby got up at 5, looked at the tote,walked away...walked back over to it, looked at me , shook his head, and walked away again. Finally after his 4th cup of coffee...he said when did you do that? I told him at 3 this morning...he shook his head, put his cup in the sink, kissed me on the forehead, and left for work...lol
This afternoon I cut up a few old t-shirts and a few sheets. Great idea so I can keep them changed out.
Also good to know about the distance thing. Geeze, I guess MOM is really important!!She has to teach them so much...and I don't think I could get my fat butt up a tree, and would never have the guts to jump from one to the other...lol so I will not be trying to teach them that...LOL
(Even though we did get married in a tree.)
Hummmm...I am not sure how you would sterilize a stick...that is a new one for me too...lol Maybe I should just break some fresh tree branches when that time comes, huh? My hubby is a carpenter, so I could use some of the indoor 2x4 pieces to let them chew on, or maybe I could find some of those chew stick things at a pet store.

I sure do appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update for tonight!!!!!
Little boy has just opened his right eye a little bit!!! And the little girl BIT me...hard tonight at feeding time. She missed the nipple and got my thumb between the nail and the skin. Boy she has good jaw pressure!!LOL
Oh and here is another thing I am not sure about...The little girl crawls forwards like normal...she is even taking a few steps with her little belly off the ground...but the little boy ALWAYS goes in reverse. I have never seen him move forwards, and he still crawls, his little belly never leaves the ground. I am kind of worried about that.
Coal our Great Dane spotted them moving around in the Tote today.( I have been keeping the dogs in a seperate part of the house because of the babies.) well she saw the movement and there was no stopping her. I held her back for awhile and kept telling her...babies be gentle. Then I took one out of the tote...she sniffed it (almost inhaled it in one nostril) then she started licking it. Of course her tounge covered the squirrel and my hand..but she made him poo poo and pee, then she got up and went back to her room. Now she is laying in the doorway keeping a watchful eye in the romm where they are. Just amazing. I was afraid that lick was like tasting the stew to see if it need salt or pepper...but so far she is being good. Now if she would just let them nurse...lol She has puppies in April, so maybe she things these are some of her kids....or maybe she is just waiting for the salt...lol

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Here is a pic of the tote lid with holes

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

And here she is Baby girl!!

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

And baby Brother in his new bed.

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

They both look so cute!! I am wondering why the boy is crawling backwards. What on earth would make that happen? Well, as long as your dog doesn't inhale them, she may think they are puppies lol. The tote with holes looks good-when they get a little rowdier, they will be all over it in a second. One of my babies spewed and sputtered when I fed her for all of the weeks we fed them by bottle, but she still got enough to make her fat and healthy. I named her Rowdy, and she would arch her back to be petted like a cat. I never imagined they would do that. They are such fun little critters-I know you are enjoying them.

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of Rascal on my husband, Bob's, head. Too funny.

Thumbnail by LGW728
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

What a FANTASTIC picture!!!! Thanks for sharing that!!
I just have not figured out what the lil boys thing is. He does great crawling around my hand and up my arms...but when I put him down...there he goes in reverse...never forwards.
Lil girl STILL has not opened her eyes. I tried giving the lil boy a grape today...he didnt care for it...but the lil girl loved it. She nibbled and nibbled I believe I almost saw her smile. lol
A friend came by yesterday..she said she had raised one, and the Rehab. told her to start off with a little piece of banana when their eyes open. But I have not tried that yet.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Sue,
I've been reading about your lil critters there and you did a great job on the plastic tote! I use them for handraising my birds alot.

You've gotten a lot of great info here from folks who have raised baby squirrels the only thing Ican add to it is maybe looking into using Kaytee Exact Handfeeding formula or similar product as they mature. It is great starter feed for just about any "grain eating critter" it's pretty complete too, so you don't have to add vitamins etc...Of course you will supplement it with transitional foods too. It might give you a break on the overnight feedings & allow a little more stretch between feedings?? Just a thought.

Keep up the great work .
Love the plant room too!

MsC

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

MSC....Thanks so much!! Any and ALL help is so greatly appreciated!!! I have never raised a wild baby before, and I want them to make it so bad!! They have had a hard life to begin with, I just hope I do everything right, and can give them the chance they deserve.
I am so afraid I will make a mistake...so I deeply appreciate all the FANTASTIC folks who have walked this path themselves!!
I will look up the Kaytee Exact Formulas and get some asap. Boy I could use a good nights sleep..lol I raised 3 WILD boys.....but I don't remember it being quite so tiring..lol
I believe this is where the **OLD AGE** line is suppose to come in!! LOL
Thanks again!!!!!
Sue

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Sue,
I know what ya mean about getting a nights sleep... baby birds can be just like that..lol

They are cuties for sure. They will love your plantroom for a romper room,too.

MsC

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

We tried giving our squirrels a piece of banana too and they would not eat it. In fact, they really didn't like it, but they too liked grapes. Their favorite nuts of all time were pecans. We thought they would make themselves sick by eating too many, but the old "burying" instinct took over, and they would hide them under their blankets.
You are going to be amazed by how fast they grow, and they are cutest when their little tails get bushy. Good luck!

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

BAD NEWS...Last night about 7 I noticed lil boy was acting strange. He didn't want to eat very well. well By his2 o clock feeding he refused to eat anything and just would not move. He had been fine earlier that day...I have no idea what happened. But he passed away and is now in squirrel heaven. I cried myself to sleep. And still cry everytime I think aboout him. I just don't know what could have happened. I am at such a loss.
Little girl opened her eyes this morning. She seems to be fine. Maybe it was just meant to be...but what a hard thing to deal with!!!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh I'm so sorry! You gave that little guy every chance that you could, and so much love. Sometimes things just happen with infant animals.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

So sorry blckwolf256. Something was wrong with him. With the wierd walking backwards thing I'd say he had some kind of head injury. Nothing you could have done. At least he passed in a peaceful loving place instead of out in the cold. Good luck with lil girl. :)

Ah sweety, I'm sorry.

I think there is a special place in Heaven for people that tried to help and innocent creature, and those that lost the battle.

mg

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I know you tried all you knew to help the little fellow, but I agree that he may have sustained a head injury in the fall, and that was the cause of his death. At least for a little while, you gave him love and a safe place. I know heaven must be filled with animals-even though some people don't believe that. I just know for a lot of people like us, heaven will be even sweeter with them around.
Focus on your little lady, and that will help your grief. I'll be thinking of you. Linda

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you ALL so much!!
I know that all of you understand the little stabbing pain you get when you try so hard and put all you have into something, and then it is gone. It happens with pets, lil critters, and loved ones. It just takes time for it to ease up.
Lil girl seems to be stronger than she has ever been. Today she started drinking 3 droppers full each feeding, and sits on the table while I am filling the dropper twitching her little tail that she curls on her back. She is too precious!! I am going to try to get a picture and post it of her doing it at her 11 oclock feeding tonight.
Thank you all again so much for going thru this with me!!
Lots of Love to each one of you!!!
Sue

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

I told an Indian friend about a dream. I am sitting on a stone wall and a squirrel runs accross my lap and behind me again and again. Then I see a different place. As long as the squirrel runs around me I can see this different world. My friend said the squirrel is my totem animal. I hope Lil Girl makes it OK. Pagan prayers for her from here. Frank

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

THANK YOU so much for sharing that Frank!!! My totem animals are the Cougar, Wolf, Dragonfly, Bear,Buffalo, Turtle, and Snake. I am thrilled to see there is another person who knows about totems!!!!
Thank you for the Pagan Prayers also for lil girl!!!!

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

OK...baby girl pictures!!!

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

And another

Thumbnail by blckwolf256
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

One more...of course like everything around here...she didn't do the cute little tail thing.

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

~~Bright Blessings~~

I'm walking the Pagan Path ;-)

mg

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

She's beautiful, and she looks much bigger and stronger than in the other photo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.