will my lone giant radish produce seeds?

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I had three seeds ate two of the radishes, I am letting this last one go to seed anyone know if the seeds will be fertile?

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I just did a search and found conflicting information, but as long as you get seed pods, then you should have fertile seeds. Radishes don't out-cross with anything but radishes, so unless you had some other varieties or wildlings blooming nearby, they should come true to variety. The only real problem you may have is getting the seed stalk to mature before a hard freeze.

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Thankyou, here is its pic it has about twice as much root underground, see why I want seeds

Thumbnail by veeja3
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Leave it alone, plow it down next spring, you will have radishes everywhere. If you save them, who knows.
We had some Korean radish 2 years ago. Didn't like them. They are still producing new plants as of a month ago.
Some radish is a weed in some areas, especially in small grains.
Bernie

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Thankyou for your help, I don't know that this is a korean radish
someone just gve me seeds and said they were giant radish seed, they taste like a regular radish a tiny bit hot but late in season to grow them here.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's a monster! Is it blooming yet? It shouldn't become a weed problem if you collect the seeds before they shatter.

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Each year I plant radish seeds over much of my garden for tha many advantages.
Although I save seed, there are always many that get away before I pull them.
-
I've had greens, turnip, & tha radish appear year after year in all tha odd places lol.

Never to worry I say. They get tilled in or hoed out as the case may be.
IF they come up in tha rite-place I'm planting more there anyway.

I find it very hard to tell radish, greens seed etc from each other.
I mark them well.....

Thumbnail by heycharlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.