cane toad

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi, I've been lucky enough to never see a cane toad, but I thought some of you with cane toad problems might be interested in this.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/05/cane.toad.ap/index.html

Sylvi74! Way to go for finding that! Thanks for sharing. Just in case the link ever gets broken, I'm going to cut and paste below what was in the article as it is so educational-

Australian cane toad meets match
Toads are 'definitely a disco animal'

Monday, September 5, 2005; Posted: 11:51 a.m. EDT (15:51 GMT)

DARWIN, Australia (AP) -- The dreaded cane toad might have met its match -- disco-style ultraviolet lights.

Northern Territory researchers said Sunday they have been successfully using dark ultraviolet lights -- the same as those used in nightclubs -- to lure and trap the pests that are killing off many of Australia's native animals.

"We've found that the old toads are definitely a disco animal," Frogwatch coordinator Graham Sawyer said.

As part of the so-called "Toad Buster" project, the researchers caught more than 200 cane toads in three weeks at a location south of Darwin. After using red and blue moving lights that failed to attract the amphibians, Sawyer said they tried dark UV lights that were an instant success.

Cane toads were imported to the northeastern state of Queensland in 1935 in a failed attempt to control beetles on sugar cane plantations. The poisonous toads have since migrated to Australia's northern coast and south.

Sawyer said more than 1,500 toads had been caught since January.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Equi, I always lose stuff when I try to cut and paste.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.