Powdery Mildew? or something else?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are my pumpkin plants. They are huge but the fruit turns black and rots away.
I do see White and yellow spots on them. I have sprayed them with funguscides. But I guess they didnt work.

Any idea and help for next year when I try pumpkins again???
Thanks

Photos coming....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a view of the 3 plants. they look healthy from afar.

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is new fruit. Hoped I could of put him on the porch for halloween!!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2005 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the fruit now after a few days.

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The next is another fruit turning black. :(

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The rest are the leaves. Looks like Mildew, but also has yellow spots.

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Leaves.

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Last photo.

I hope someone can tell whats going on. That's why I am posting so many photos.

Thanks for any help!!!

Thumbnail by jenbrink
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Check out this place and download the PDF file at the top of the page: Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1180.htm

Also check here: Gourd diseases: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Gourd+diseases&btnG=Google+Search

~* Robin

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

great pdf, thank you All symtoms are so much alike, I really cant be sure which disease my pumpkins have.

I did do lots of research from google before I posted here, even looking at diseased plants (photos) I really still cant tell. I just thought maybe someone would know by looking at my photos.

Thanks again.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I recognise the black fuzzy fungus on your fruit. It is called Choanephora Fruit Rot. It is caused by the fungus Choanephora cucurbitarum. This fungus can affect both blossoms and fruit. The photo of the small fruit with the wet soft rot is also typical of an early infection, before the fungus has time to sporulate. The best control for this problem is to let things dry out. I have never heard of anyone using a fungicide for it. This pathogen thrives under wet conditions.

I couldn't tell for sure what is up with the leaves. Downy mildew might be a good guess because it is a problem under the same wet conditions as Choanephora. If it is Downy Mildew you should see irregular yellow spots on the tops of the leaves and sometimes a downy like fungus on the bottom of the leaves. This fungus can be white or gray. One of the photos actually looked quite a lot like Powdery Mildew. If you have Powdery Mildew you should see a whitish fungas on both top and bottom leaf surfaces as well as petioles and stems. Maybe you have both! What luck! Hope that helps.
Robin

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Robin,
Thank you for the information. I think you are right, I think my poor pumpkins have all the above.

Maybe next year I will move them to a more airy place in the yard. Last year I got one pumpkin and something took a big bite out of it and then the plant died.

I'm not having much luck, but I'll keep trying!

or maybe I will just stick with growing tomatoes and peppers!

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.