Good ole hardy Lantana

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I love this stuff!

Thumbnail by Sunshines2day
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Me too, but it is not hardy here but the color range in lantanas is fabulous too.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh I'm so glad someone posted regarding Lantana. I have two plants of the same color as Sunshines2day. They're growing great and I'll plant them again from now on! One question: what's with the "berries"? I just noticed them the other day and both plants are loaded with them. Are these the beginnings of the seeds? Please educate me on this as I've never grown Lantana before this year.

Toni

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Excuse me....but I'm an idiot! I was just cruising through the Seed Trading forum and came upon a thread offering Lantana seeds. The picture of the seeds is what I'm calling "berries"! Guess I'll go "berry picking" in the morning ;)

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

this is my first year with lantana too!! I love it, can you save the seeds. I do know their posionous to animals though. So watch out for puppies and kitties, I was thinking about trying to propagate some.
here's a pic of mine

Thumbnail by shellyp98
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure how easy it is to grow Lantana from collected seeds. I would be curious to know the answer though. I, too , have the understanding that the berries are potentially harmful to animals. This is the first year I haven't kept up with trimming them off. I grew these knowing they wouldn't likely live through the winter, but the first year I had some type of yellow Lantana re-emerge in the Spring. This yellow plant did not come back this second season. I love the way the flowers change colors as they mature.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The tiny, tiny seeds are inside the 'berries'.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Kay ~ Can the berries be harvested before they are dry? I have noticed my lantana are full of them, checked them out today and they are quite soft.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I am going to try to overwinter mine in a pot...have any of you tried this?

I love'em too...if I hadn't had my lantanas blooming this summer my garden would have been pretty much a flop!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I dig mine up and bring it inside under lights. It looks mighty pitiful by spring and always gets buggy. I whack it back come spring and stick it outside and it always snaps right back into a nice big bush. I've kept the same one for several years.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

If my lantana survive our 29° temps forcasted for tonight, I'm going to dig tomorrow and try to overwinter. Right now they are snuggled under blankets. I did harvest some berries and will try to grow from seeds. Lantanas are one of my favorite plants - annuals here.

Do you think you have to have them under lights, or could you just prune back and water, say, once a month, and put them in the dark...

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Ours does great after June,we cut it back almost ground level
in late october,cover mulch realy good.
by april he`s back, then we give it a good trim and by June
we`re trimming daily.lol
we love it...

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I just wanted to say: you might as well hang a "WHITE FLIES WELCOME" sign above your lantana plants if you bring them indoors - they will be THICK! IMHO, these are so cheap that they are not worth wintering over with my other babies.

Hi everybody--

Have to show off my bouquet of lantana I made yesterday...I never thought of using lantana for an arrangement until I was desperate for a centerpiece yesterday and it was basically all I had except for a couple daisies and some buddleia and basil in the garden!
Everybody thought it was wonderful last night.

I wanted to put some berries in it too but it was raining too hard to get out to the woods...

Have a good gardening weekend. t

Here's the pic

Thumbnail by tabasco

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.