Need ideas for memory garden I'm going to dig....

Alden, NY(Zone 5b)

Before you read this, I am in zone 5. Now the story....

My brother and I have been gardening/houseplanting since we were about 10. We were close when we were growing up, and remained close via telephone even after he moved to Tampa 8 years ago. He continued to garden down there, only his houseplants were right in the ground at his house. We talked on the phone alot...we talked alot about gardening.

He left us on August 6, 2005 at the age of 39 from melanoma cancer. Before he left us, he gave me his very first plant he got down in Florida...a Painted Fingernail Bromeliad (which I will winter inside with the others).

I am having a couple pines removed this fall, which will leave a large patch of lawn open for a new garden for next year. This one will be Greg's memory garden. Why do I need help?

I want the garden to reflect him, but am having a hard time choosing plants that will grow up here in New York.

He loved tropicals, so I am looking for tropical-looking perennials that will grow in zone 5. I have decided on red canna lily, but wonder if there is more.

His favorite color as a kid was green, as an adult was black. I am looking for perennials that will flower black, and perennials with chartreuse foliage. I think I might want to throw in some silver-foliaged plants to set it off. Any suggestions?

I will probably put in a small amount of black-eyed susan...my favorite flower since I was a kid.

He also loved gladiolus...any suggestions on variety? Have black gladiolus been bred?

I am having the tree removal company leave stumps (two) so that I may set plants on them in pots...he grew an asparagus fern that was simply huge...will probably put those there. They overwinter very nicely up here.

When he was very sick at the end, I went to Tampa to be with him for 2 weeks...while I was gone, my family (husband and step-kids) did not care for my gardens/houseplants that I keep outside. I lost some houseplants which I am in the process of replacing, and some of my perennials were damaged during the drought we had up here at the time (I had to cut alot of dead stuff off, leaving not much left...my whole front garden died due to lack of watering while I was away). I was so upset when I found out, so my cousin suggested this idea.

Any suggestions for plants/or other ideas would be seriously appreciated.

Thanx again....Lisa

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am so very sorry for your loss...what a wonderful thing you are doing. Some suggestions: Black Mondo grass, Viola 'Molly Sanders', Cimicifuga 'Hillside Black Beauty', euphorbia 'robbiae', Tulip 'Queen of the night', Alchemilla mollis, Hydrangea nigra (Black new growth stems), the yew is for resurrection, faith and sorrow. Good Luck with your new and wonderful garden.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Lisa, your brother lives on through you and your mutual love of plants and I am sure if he could tell you he would love everything you are doing. As I read your desire for black and green plants my first thought was alchemilla mollis too for the green. Bells of Ireland are a nice annual green. Some different sedums can be pretty too. Good Luck and God Bless you and your wonderful healing project.Joann

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Lisa-That is a very nice thing you are doing to remember your brother, and it is something that will comfort you as time passes. I can't thing of any other thing as levilyla and lenjo have suggested plants which would be great. I'm sorry your family didn't take care of your plants while you were away-I know that feeling, and it's hard.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

What a great tribute to your brother this garden will be!
I have a few suggestions for chartreuse foliage.

For sun there's:
Tradascantia 'Sweet Kate',
Vinca minor 'Illumination'
Centaurea 'Gold Boullion'
Oregano vulgare 'Aurea' (Golden Oregano)
Veronica prostrata 'Buttercup' or 'Aztec Gold'
Sedum rupestre 'Angelina'
Geranium 'Ann Folkard'
Stachys byzantina 'Primrose Heron' (in spring)
Sedum alboroseum 'Medio-variegatum'

If you still have some shade:
hostas such as 'August Moon' and 'Sun Power'
Dicentra 'Goldheart'
Heuchera 'Lime Rickey'
Japanese Forest Grass
Heucherells 'Sunspot' or 'Stoplight'
Filipendula ulmaria 'Aurea'
Lamium 'Beedham's White'

There are a few annuals that come to mind such as Sweet Potato 'Marguerite', Canna 'Pretoria', Helichrysum 'Limelight' Coleus. How about shrubs such as Golden Barberry 'Aurea Nana', Carytoperis 'Worchester Gold', Spirea 'Limemound' or 'Magic Carpet'.

Please let us know how it unfolds.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Lisa. My heart goes out to you, and I love your project. There is a nearly black hollyhock that would be nice for your sunny area. Groundcovers of either silver or chartruese lamium would be lovely under most any black flower. In summer Black Majic elephant ears would be tropical and blackish, but they would have to be overwintered indoors. They're great in large pots with Margarita sweet potatoes spilling out around them. Best of luck to you, and let us know how it's going. Neal.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Lisa,

Consider making a stepping stone or decorative stone out of concrete to put in your garden patch. Lots of ideas on the web.

Maybe a favorite saying of his on the stone... Something to think about.

Sorry for your loss.

Nina

Alden, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am going to start planning the layout and looking up all these plants you all have suggested. I am thinking about planting shrubs and grasses all the way around the garden save for a little space to act as the "gate" to get in...with an arbor arch placed there with clematis and morning glory climbing it, with paths laid with stones to walk on...although, wouldn't paths made with thyme be cooler...they will scent as you walk on them...and a little sitting area in the back. Then, when I want to be alone with Greg, I can "hide" amongst my shrubs and plants and spend time with him. I can't wait for it to finally snow, and then thaw in the spring so I can start building. And I loved the idea of making a decorative stone to place in there.

You all are so wonderful with wonderful suggestions....please keep them coming if you are new to this thread or if you think of anything else to add.

Lisa

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

A traditional plant for cemeteries used to be peonys because of their long life. Perhaps you can find a nice deep red one. For chartreuse, how about some of those ornamental sweet potato vines?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just thought of Dicentra...(Bleeding heart). I always plant one over my dogs graves. And I think dogwood is symbolic of something but can't remember what.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

My first thought since you are so far north was the "black" tulips for early spring. I am so sorry for your loss.
Sharon

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lisa, there is a Black Barlow Columbine that is very dark, almost black. I have grown Clear Crystal Black pansies that are definitely black. For an exotic type plant that has chartreuse green foliage, I'd recommend Primula florindae. It likes moist conditions, however. For a touch of silver, lamium 'White Nancy', Pink Pewter, or Beacon Silver is a great groundcover and will tolerate heavy shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.