My very first Lily!

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

I'm so excited. This is the first year that I've planted lilies and I want to share my picture of the very first one to bloom. (I'm at a fairly high elevation so they're kinda late. Bloomed on 8/27/05 Although my location is listed as Lewiston, I'm really in Reubens. Way different climate from down in the valley.)
I can't wait for the others to bloom! Hopefully, they'll get a chance to bloom before the frost sets in. It's been pretty cool at night lately. Like 40 degrees!
This particular lily came in an assortment that I bought that were mixed, so I don't know its identity. Any help?
Kathy

This message was edited Sep 4, 2005 2:58 PM

Thumbnail by phkat
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi phkat, welcome to DG and the Lily Forum.

Lilies are fun, aren't they? Looks like to got some nice blooms for your first year.

When you purchase an assortment, they're frequently seedlings and have no names ~ but sometimes you can get lucky. :)

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

great orange phkat! thanks for sharing

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

thats super lovely one.. great pictures..

Aren't lilies the best! Congrats on your first one. A nice blossom on it for it's first year. When did you plant them? I still have a few to come too, but they were planted quite late this spring. Cleaning out the fridge......you can guess what happened.

Don't worry about identifying it, if it came in a mixed bag it might not be a named cultivar. That doesn't take any loveliness away from it. Maybe one of the lily experts will come along and recognize it.

echoes

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

I planted this bed in mid-June. One of the named lilys that I put in this bed is Blazing Orange dwarf Asiatic Lily. Do you think that's what this one is???
I thought so right up until it bloomed and I compared it to the pictures that I have of Blazing Orange. It seems that there is too much yellow in it for that to be it. It is in full sun except for about 1/2 an hour in the morning that it gets some shade as the sun makes its way around a tree.
I had plastic flagging tape attached to each planting, and sticking out of the ground so that I could tell what the named ones were. However, most of them faded so badly that I can't read them. Fortunately, I know where each of the rest of my named lilys are planted. Its mostly the mixed batch that I have no clue over.
So when I see "unnamed cultivar" that means that the literally have no name??? I thought it just meant that the person didn't happen to know what the name was, not that there wasn't one at all. lol.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL To my way of thinking, here's a difference between an unnamed (never had a name), and an unknown (probably had a name but the tag faded, or you can't remember, dog ate the tag, etc...)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.