Someone stole my gourds

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

I am so upset, this year I planted at least 15 types of gourds. Even through our bad weather they were looking great & producing. My son planting them on my 5' fence while I was at work, I left them there because I love the look of them. As of yesterday morning I have 1 martin, 1 birdhouse & 1 little unknown gourd left.

My giant bushel, basketball, plate, snake, caveman, luffa, apple, etc... has been pulled off the vines & taken. Why would someone do this? I am sure it was kids, but don't their parents teach them about stealing anymore?

I used all my seeds, except a couple apple & birdhouse, to grow these. They looked so good hanging all over the fence. I had planned on trying to make an old world santa out of one, & I am just sick over the caveman.

Just wanted to gripe, thanks for listening.

Robin

Crossville, TN

Robin...can I send you some seed for next year? If so, tell me what kind you want...I know i don't have caveman.

I know how devistated you are...the Javalinas ate into some of mine one year...Jo

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Robin,

I can send you some Tiny Bottle gourd seeds I have a few from gourds that were sent to me by BassetMom that I cleaned out already. Gonna make some small glittery angels out of them.

I see you live in Florida; can you still do any planting this time of year...?
It really sounds fishy to me. Kids would've ripped the vines out and made quite a mess. Looks like someone's been 'sizing-up' your crop and tried to make it look like some rotten kids did it.... Notice they left a few of them without smashing them!
Kids will smash any they can't take, like pumpkins.

~* Robin

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Robin,

Thank you for the offer, that would be very nice. I would love to know how to make the angels also.

You may have a point, some complete rednecks just moved in next door & have been nothing except a pain in by behind. They even harrass the dog, they will not be so brave if he jumps the fence after them. LOL.

Robin

Vieques, PR(Zone 11)

If you would like send me an email with your address and I will send you one that I brought down from the states.

If it helps a bit, when I lived in south florida years ago I had every plant taken out of my garden, mostly tropicals. It turned out to be a landscaping company that decided to raid yards at night so they could make the buck.

Crossville, TN

One thing is...if they picked them too soon...they won't dry well and will rot. Jo

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Jo, that is what upset me so bad, it was just a complete waste.

Robin

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

It has to be one of the most aggravating things to have happen to you. I had all of my spaghetti squash stomped on by the local kids. The heartbreak is SO much more when it is from human intervention. If my squash would have died from something I did it would not be bad, but when someone else does it you feel much more violated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.