Some questions on Japanese Iris (Iris Ensata)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi all. I am new to Japanese Iris this year. I've heard that one shouldn't fertilize them until they are established. However, when does aged steer/cow manure fit in? Can I put that around the plants at planting time, or should I wait until Spring? Any other tips on how to get them off to a good start would be much appreciated!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Well...I dont know what one "should" do...but I fertilized mine all summer and they havent died yet. (I only had one last summer-added a couple more this year)

charlotte

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the input. I've read that it's best to wait until the JI is established to add fertilizer. However, steer manure is fine to add upon planting. Dig in 3-4 inches deep and even pile it up around the stem of the JI.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I work in fertilizer under the root area, then put down a few inches of compost and manure, then the plant. I also water heavily. Haven't lost any yet. Maybe we should consider trading in two or three years?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Sounds good to me! I ordered a few this year and then my mom gave me some of hers that she ordered. I now have about 25 of them that I'm starting this year in my garden, when I wasn't planning on having any at all! LOL! Isn't that always the way addictions get started.......? :0]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.