Transplanting Large Layered Deciduous Magnolia

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

The previous idiots - uh, I mean owners - of our farm planted an absolutely dropdead gorgeous deciduous magnolia completely out of sight of either the house or the road (believe me, this is only one of many idiotic gardening efforts they perpetrated here - sigh). This tree is at least 20-feet+ tall & covered with lovely large fragrant purple & white blossoms in early spring, followed by a repeat performance with just a few blossoms in late summer.

Anyway, apparently one of the lowest limbs of this huge gorgeous tree was touching the ground long enough to sprout roots & thus a satellite tree. This "satellite" is about 8-foot tall, & I would LOVE to try & remove it from its parent & plant it in a prominent place in the yard.

Since fall - & prime tree/shrub/perennial time - is nearly upon us, does anyone have any ideas on how I can best accomplish this without murdering the poor thing?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I would wait until very early spring. Mags don't seem to like being moved in the fall. But if you get it as soon as the frost is out of the ground, try to get as much root as possible, and trim off all the unwanted branches at that time, you might have good success.

Another option: Severe the new tree from its parent but leave it in place until the following year. If it survives on its own roots after being cut free from mama's apron strings, then go for it.

Guy S.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks!! And although it is still "attached" to the original branch that touched the ground, believe me - it is WELL rooted - lol!! At 8-10' tall & firmly ensconced, I doubt it's getting anything from the parent appendage anymore - looks like it's been growing on its own for years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.