d. metel Black Currant Swirl Open

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Just had to share this shot, I am noticing that the cooler temps we get the more "open" the first layer opens, for awhile you had to really look for that 3rd rippled petal, but now they are all showing up better..............

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, wow. That is so lovely. Such a pretty purple.
I planted some seeds but they haven't made a move.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes this one I do adore, I know sometimes these are harder to start than others, patience and someday soon perhaps they will sprout!

San Benito, TX(Zone 9b)

Now that is what I call truly "picture perfect". Doesn't it give you such pure pleasure to see something so beautiful growing in your garden? Those are perfectly blended colors. Thank you for sharing.
Geo

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes I truly love this one, grown for several years now, always right close to the front porch/now the patio area. It sure does catch everyones eyes when they see it, stops them right there to look at it.

San Benito, TX(Zone 9b)

Breezy, what is the name of your beautiful flower? There was a neighbor of mine that grew one and that is the only one I have seen grown here in our RV resort. It was a double purple and everyone commented on how pretty it was, but they did not like the odor. I have wanted to plant one but just have not taken the time. I have only seen three in the Valley since I have been here almost 16 years. Maybe this is the year for me. LOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL well it's a Datura, called Black Currant Swirl, it is sometimes a double and sometimes a triple petaled bloom with undersides being dark purple/black and topside being white, they smell wonderful, the blooms I mean. I have heard some say the leaves to them smell badly but the flower scent overpowers any bad smell because I don't notice the bad :)

They are an annual, they grow from seed each spring here, I have heard some in warmer climates can overwinter them, but I tried that once many years ago and had spidermites, so I just start mine from seed each year. All parts of the plant are poisonous, seeds being the worst toxic.

San Benito, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the info. I am going to try to grow it here and keep it all year long. It is one of the most beautiful pictures of a Datura that I have seen. Thank you. BTW, this comes from a transplanted Texan from the beautiful state of Ohio. Will you be watching the BIG game this coming weekend? A friend of mine in Columbus informed me she has seen tickets going for $3,000.00. Now what a garden we could make with that. LOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

MY goodness!!! That is crazy! But my hubby is working this weekend on the backyard so we will see if we get to watch it, he isn't the biggest watcher, but for this one he might be!!!!

I hope your datura grows well for you for a long time!!

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

OhioBreezy--my two plants you traded me have flowered--this am I looked out and one flower on each plant has opened and another one getting ready to in the next couple of days on one!!! WOW!! Awesome!! Thanks sooooo much!! I am for sure gonna pot these up and take inside to overwinter!! hehehe Hope they survive overwintering!! Bonnie

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Cool, Bonnie, which ones are they? It's been awhile and I am out of the loop so to speak, and you don't have a camera do you to load photos?

I am so glad they are blooming for you and you are happy :-)
~Laurrie

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

OhioBreezy -- I think that's what is blooming here. Got a couple cuttings and they are really blooming now. No fragrance, though. And no seed pods, either. Maybe I'll try to take a cutting in case they don't make it through the winter. Any trick to getting the seed pods to form and stay on the plant?

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

OhioBreezy--The two you send me are teh Black Currant Swirl. Are the flowers supposed to only be open for one day then wither?? That is what mine did!! Open for one day then withered. The 2nd flower on the one opened this morning--they are all doubles so far. The Discolor I had last year--the flowers were open a LONG time before closing, withering and falling off. Hmmmm....

Bonnie

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, mine stay open here for days!! could it be the heat? I am not sure, but mine are usually on at least 3 days before they wilt and close up. Strange, what are your temps right now? ours in in high 70's to lower 80's and in 50-60's at night time.

Laurrie

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Maybe it IS the temps--we are having cool mornings (in the 60's) but by lunch or so it is in the upper 80's to low 90's again!! One of the first ones to open has re opened this am but the other ones still limp and the one that opened yesterday is limp too. I water these real good every morning (as I have to do for all my Brugs)!! So...these will probably do much better in the next month or so!! hehehe Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.