ID: Yellow bug with spikes!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Can someone please Id this bug. It's growing on my newly aquired sweetspire bush.

Thumbnail by Osteole
Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

It's a stinging rose caterpillar, and contact with it can cause skin irritation. There is also a red version of the same caterpillar.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Ah thanks Kneff

Google'd it, but haven't found any information regarding the control of this species.

Shall I kill it or let it reproduce? I was reading it produces two generations per year! I've already found another, but smaller version of one shown.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

What does it become?
sidney

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

moth like species....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

here is a link about stinging caterpillars.
You will find the Rose Caterpillar and how to control it.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2130.html

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I think the moth is rather pretty. As far as control, unless something is truly decimating my plants (the only two on my list at this point are slugs and Japanese beetles) I think it is better to live and let live. If I have to kill something I do it by hand or using non-toxic materials, such as the iron-based slug controls. If a pest doesn't appear in large quantities, birds and larger bee/wasp predators will usually take care of things pretty well, and a few holes in leaves don't bother me if the plant is not compromised. I would find it hard to kill a caterpillar that pretty, but I surely wouldn't touch it in the meantime!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.