Trimming a Privet

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I purchased this at a Lowe's for $1.50. I'm wondering if I need to trim for shape or just leave "as is" and let it grow in.

Thumbnail by Osteole
Salem, WI(Zone 5a)

You don't need to trim it yet, but you will need to trim it as it grows larger. You can hack the heck out of them later if you wanted to and they'll still thrive. In other words, you shouldn't worry about cutting too much off. They'll come back strong pretty much however you cut them up.

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

I Just wanted to echo Jerger. After much hesitation I pruned ny very leggy 5 ft privets back by about 1/2, and within a week or two they had noticeable new growth. Don't be afraid to cut the privet back (I sure was!).

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If you plan on putting it in the ground now, it's best not to prune. Auxin produced in apical meristems (growing tips of branches) stimulates root development & hastens establishment after planting. Also, leaves are the workers that are now producing photosynthate (food) the plant is storing for its winter rest & subsequent spring growth push. Removing any top growth now short-changes the plant in both/either area(s).

Al

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Very good information tapla. Thanks :)

Thornton, IL

Would any of the experts here know of a good substitute for privet or boxwood in zone 5?
I'm looking for an evergreen shrub to replace yews, have considered inkberry (Ilex glabra 'Densa') but need to know drawbacks, if any. Western exposure, hot/dry conditions, soil has good drainage, partially protected as it would be under the eaves. Also, I'm assuming wilt-pruf will be needed: when do I apply it? Have done some reading, mostly looking for an experienced grower. Does this look as good as box, or even yews (overdone here)? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2005 10:34 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.