Do Fuchsia's offer seeds?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

If so, where does one find them? I have some real beauties and I'd love to grow them again. Any suggestions?

They are located in the berries although it can depend on the cultivar and your climate as to whether they will produce many and not all seeds will be fertile. They are best sown fresh if you're going to try them.

Seeds from cultivar Fuchsia won't come true from seed, if you want to keep the same varieties they readily take from cuttings either now or in spring. Cuttings are much easier to grow than the seeds and seedlings are.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Berries??? Now I'm really confused.

Also, I thought Fuchsias were annuals - should I overwinter them indoors?

Thumbnail by Sequee

They are (mainly) tender shrubs, here's a very blurry pic of one type of Fuchsia berry http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/12920/

You can try to overwinter them, they prefer a temperature around 50F with moist but not wet or standing in water. Cuttings over winter too, sometimes better than the mature plant. Keep the plants you want to keep in the sun for as long as you can before the frost hits even if you have to bring them in at night because this will help to ripen the bark on the stems which over winter better than the green stems. They may lose all their leaves depending on the conditions but this isn't necessarily a sign that they are dying.

Pretty Fuchsia you have there!

This message was edited Sep 3, 2005 4:38 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the info. I have a nice, large sunroom that I will bring them into when it gets too outside. I have a clothes rack that's not in use, so I'm going to try to bring in all of outside hanging plants. May even try to dig up my Passiflora to see what he will do indoors. I think I planted out too late and it's not going to have time to flower. hopefully he will be happy indoors. I have a neighbor who has one that has taken over the entire inside of his bay window. It is incredible, especially when it blooms in the winter when there's snow all around - then you walk by his house to incredible miracle of a plant. Could I be so lucky???

You never know until you try :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.