Help - leaves changed on White Blackeyed Susan Vine

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,

I noticed the leaves on my white blackeyed Susan vine starting to change texture and color. Please see picture. The vine is still blooming nicely, but the sign of leaves changing worries me.

The picture shows two healthy leaves on the lower left corner.

This is also happening with my long thin cayenne pepper. What is going on?

Thank you for your help,

Eliza

This message was edited Sep 2, 2005 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by kateliza_id
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Below is a picture of the long thin cayenne pepper.

Thumbnail by kateliza_id
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like something is sucking out the juice of the plant, can you take a close up of a leaf? And have you looked at the underside to see if there are whitefly or aphid? you can usually see their eggs, but the mites you will need a magnifying glass. You can usually see really fine spider webby stuff around too, but from what I can tell without a closer look at the leaf itself, you have a bug.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Eliza. My black eyed susan vines have been doing the same thing for a while now. I haven't found any bugs or spiders on them. The problem seems to be systemic so I just put in some new compost and some all purpose fertilizer 2 days ago. Am still waiting to see if that did any good.

Not sure what's wrong with your chile plant. Are there anything inside those curled up leaves, such as spider webbing or cocoons?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

No, no bugs. I checked, both the vine and the pepper. Even though the vine leaves are not as obvious as the pepper plant, they both have the same problem.

I posted the question in pepper forum, and the answer I got back is the plants need calcium. I just put some bone meal this morning. I will post the result in a few days.

~Eliza~

San Diego, CA

Not absolutely sure, but you are all here in CA. My white vines did the same thing and also attacked a few of my giant celosia. It's funny that it didn't affect the Spanish Eyes or Blushing Suzie varieties. I took a few leaves to the Certified Nurserywoman at Lowe's, and she said it looked exactly like Fuschia Gall Mites. She told me to cut them to the ground, throw them in the trash, and wait until next year to replace what I tossed. I hope that helps...I haven't had it spread since I did that. I don't think there is a way to kill them without severe damage to the plants. I lost all my fuschias 2 years ago to that and didn't know what it was. I just called it gnarled up and ugly fuchia disease!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.