Need some idis on any of these -prutty please

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Hi I marked these but seem to be having a probelms any ideas?I use window blinds perm sharpie marker -these are staying on here is a couple of my iris-thanks :o)smiles Robin

Thumbnail by maineroses
Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

another

Thumbnail by maineroses
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I grow several coming close to either one. Thousands of iris registered--hard to know which one is which without road signs.

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

thanks wanda robin

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

As Wanda said, there are many, many thousands of registered irises, so ID through a photo is all but impossible.

I would like to suggest, however, that you use paint markers on your miniblind markers instead of Sharpie. Sharpie will fade in a matter of months. Paint markers last years. Also, write the name of the plant on both ends of the marker - the end you can see above ground and the end that gets pushed underground. That way even if the top parts fades, the underground part will remain readable indefinitely.

Laurie

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

I tried paint markers/ones at walmart in craft section where can I get better ones? girl told me that laundry markers work better is this true.
On iris's below i didnt have names for where given to me by a friend when she moved thats why i need a id

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You can purchase different types of paint pens at office supply and stationary stores. I've never tried laundry markers.

If you really want to try to accurately identify your unknown irises, you should first read both of the following articles. They describe the long, detailed process of attempting to identify unknowns.

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/ID.html

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Identification/Photo_ID1.html

Be aware, however, that there's a possibility your irises may not even be registered cultivars. When old iris plantings are allowed to go to seed, any resulting seedlings are NOT identical to the parents and are therefore simply unregistered seedlings. If your irises are seedlings, they have no registered identities to be found.

Laurie

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Laurie is there one pen i should look for they would work well thanks robin

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

DecoColor Paint pens are pretty good, but they sometimes start to fade or flake off within a year. Most of my markers are done with DecoColor pens and have lasted a number of years, though. UniPaint pens use a paint that lasts many years, but the pens have an irritating habit of clogging and/or drying up long before you've used up all their paint. Those are the only two paint markers I've used.

Sharpie has a marker I've seen in catalogs that's supposed to be weatherproof, but I've never found any place that actually sells them. It's called the Sharpie Industrial Super Permanent Marker, and it's supposed to resist weather, UV light, chemicals, etc. If you can find one, it'd be worth trying. Just be sure to write the name of the plant on both ends of the miniblind marker so if the topside fades beyond readability, the underground portion will protect the plant's identity.

Laurie

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Thanks Laurie for your Help robin

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

In addition to the good advice above, I always bury a label with the Rhz. and also with lilium and hostas. Then, if crows, squirrels, kids or puppies move the labels, at least you will know what you have when yu dig up to divide.

I learnt this the hard way. We have magpies and crows here who just seem to love my labels.

Inanda - with tables of potted up iris inside.

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

wow I am close to canda and i always see the crows around here.I better start watching Something i didnt know robin

inanda--isn't potting iris inside cheating? LOL I'm walking around my garden today watching the last of the re-bloomers and awaiting a hard frost. Time to go plant some lily bulbs...

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

The Sharpie Industrial Marker is available in a three pack at Office Depot. I've been using the DecoColor pens, but I bought some of the Sharpies yesterday to give them a try.

Lebanon, OR

my problem are the Blue Jays! Any outside marking is not worth trying except for the rosses and dahlias as I have them with a thin post and the name on it on a metal blind decoline pen pounded into the ground very good...

The deer have been kind to me this year, not pulling any of the newly planted iris and daylilies up:)

Got two JI in bloom Ebb Flow and other one, several daylilies and we are facing frost any night.

D

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I was told to use a pencil on the markers...a garden center I was at looking for the markers told me the pencil that isin the package will last whereas most of the markers will fade with time...anyone tried this? I haven't been able to mark any of mine yet, but that is what I was going to try...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

What kind of pencil is it? I just bought some NoBlot Ink Pencils to use on my dahlia tubers. I wonder if it would be permanent on markers... that would be great since I now have a dozen of them. LOL

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Huff - as my norwegian friend says. Wanda, how would you grow zone 8 iris in a zone 2b or zone 3 (in good years).

inanda - laughing away, loving this warm planting weather at the end of Oct.

Sounds like alot of work to me.... (digging away in my wet, warm beds).....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.