Scented Geranium Swap, Part 4

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The Part 3 thread was getting long, so I'll start a Part 4 thread on behalf of our fearless leader, who I hope will be back with us soon!

It sound like it's time for a poll, to see who is still "in" and who would prefer to bow out of the swap. I'm sorry some folks have run into difficulties, but I hope we'll get a spring swap going that everyone can jump back into. Meanwhile, let's see if we still have enough participants for a swap, or if it would be better to turn this into a trading thread. I have a couple dozen well rooted SGs, mostly in 4 inch pots, so I think I'm good. I'll try to do a count tomorrow & post a list.

Whether you're in or out, I will get some Coconut SG seeds to you. I'm guessing I may have other seeds to send to most of you during fall/winter seed trading time, but if you don't want to wait just LMK.

I'll edit this list as we go along. So far, I think we have:

"In"
Critterologist -- (9)Attar of Roses, (4)Cocoa Mint Rose, (4)Cody's Nutmeg,(1)Lime, (1)Strawberry, (3)Chocolate Peppermint
Mysticwill -- Citronella & variagated lemon scented, also AV plantlets
Bluespiral/Kathy_ann -- if they recover, (1) Orange, (1) Lilac rose, (3) Apricot, (6) Snowflake Rose, (6) Chocolate Mint
Juli64

"Out"
Kathy_ann
Juttz ?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2005 7:13 PM

This message was edited Sep 4, 2005 4:42 PM

This message was edited Sep 13, 2005 6:22 PM

(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Sep 1, 2005 11:00 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Karen, that's quite a remarkable collection of websites! But could we please move further discussion along these lines to another thread and maybe post a link here? I don't mind threads with meandering topics, but there's so much to discuss & add to what you've mentioned that I bet it could turn into a really huge digression. Thanks! :-)

Victorville, CA

Thanks Jill.

(Zone 7a)

I hope from the bottom of my heart that things get better for Barb, that Tracy's surgery goes well, that Kathy Ann's brother survives Katrina safe and sound and that everyone's hopes and dreams come true. But I have to leave this swap now. Best to you all.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2005 12:06 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Karen, I sent you Dmail, and I hope everything's OK.

Judy, it sounded like you didn't want to do a fall swap because of overwintering concerns? I think cuttings can go in a 4 or 6 inch pot on the windowsill & make it through the winter. I have my SGs in bigger pots that just go out in summer and into the morning room in winter, but the guy who sells them at the farmer's market overwinters cuttings in little pots like that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Karen, you're still "in" since you already sent out all those plants, so I don't think there's anything more you need to do for the swap other than receive the plants sent to you, which you said you'd still be happy to do.

I counted up my available SGs and added the numbers to the post at the top of the thread.

Hope everyone's having a fun holiday weekend!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

My brother is ok, he lost everything. WE've been out of town, made an emergency trip to Slidell Louisiana to pick up my step son and his friend. It was horrific down there to say the least. I've been off line, and haven't been reading the posts. Sorry about that. I will get Karen's plants out to her this week.

kathy

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh Kathy...I am so sorry about whats happening in your family but thank God you have them still alive..this is the most terrible tragedy...In america how many times has it been in the last century that we have seen unspeakable horrors....my prayers are with you and yours...Judy

(Zone 7a)

Kathy, I'll reimburse you for postage and share cuttings with Jill for this group in the spring. So glad your family is okay - very sorry for them and everyone subjected to this catastrophe.

Victorville, CA

Kathy your relatives are so very fortunate that they have a strong person like you to depend on. God bless you! Take care of you too.
-Juli

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for taking over the thread with words that aren't of the swap.

You ladies have a good holiday.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Whoops--- missed the bus! Here I am -- still here...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heather, could you please call Barb and see what she thinks about the status of this swap? If you could, please also check to see if she is up to receiving a box of plants next week on her & Ellie's behalf, even if we're putting off the full swap until spring. One way or another, I'd like to get my extra SGs out of here by next week. (I'm trying to plant out or otherwise reduce the number of little pots of things on the deck so my neighbor doesn't have to do so much watering for me while we're gone.)

And for anybody who doesn't see their name on the first post in this thread, please LMK your status for this swap.

Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

I received Kathy's scented geraniums today, Monday, 9/12/05. The post office received them last Thursday, 9/8/05 and did not deliver them to me at that time. When we went in to the post office on Saturday, 9/10/05, and asked if they had received any packages for us, they looked and then said, "No". (Curiously, we received no mail for our street address last Thursday and Friday - usually there's at least some junk.)

So, thanks to the post office, the condition of them is moldy. I have cleaned, potted, soaked, and drained them and they are now airing out on the porch. They might perk up. Subtracting 1 each for myself, there are 17 to share, and I would like for this group to have them. They include:

Orange - 1
Lilac Rose - 1
Apricot - 3
Snowflake Rose - 6
Chocolate Rose - 6

Considering how badly Katrina hurt her family financially, I think this is extremely generous of her.

I don't need anything else for these SGs. My intention was always to try to inspire Kathy to share her scented geraniums with this group, and I would like to mail these to Barb, too, for the pool. Barb has the previous 2 boxes I sent earlier containing plants for Juttz (marked on the label) as well as plants for the pool.

Hope you will let me know.

Karen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, drat! I hope they recover. Thank you for your efforts with them, Karen!

Kathy, that was a very generous box -- thanks so much!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH Karen, I hate that that had to happen, I can just imagine that katrina has frazzled all the p.o. systems causing unfortunate problems for everyone. I truly hope they survive the trip.
OH yes, that chocolate rose you listed is chocolate mint. Sorry if that was my mistake.

On a good note, WE have found an apartment for the two evacuees staying with us, and our church has donated things already to help furnish their new home. Life and people are so good to ever let such a thing as Katrina bring us down!

thanks.

kathy

(Zone 7a)

Kathy, so glad to hear about your community rallying around the 2 flood victims under your wing. Am hoping for a positive, restorative transition for them all.

Victorville, CA

Kathy-Ann you are truly amazing. Has anyone heard how Barb is doing?
-Juli

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I still haven't heard anything from Barb, or from Heather about how Barb is doing. I have to pack plants tonight that are being mailed out before I leave. I don't want to send Barb a big box to deal with if she's not doing better, so I think the SGs will just have to come inside and spend the next few weeks on a light shelf. If the weather hasn't turned too cold for shipping in mid October, I can see about sending some out, but I think it'll be too late in the season for me to try to host the swap when I return. I'm sorry if I dropped the ball, but I was hoping with the rest of you that Barb would be feistier than ever by now. I'll overwinter the extras that Kathy sent to Karen as well... they are really not looking like they could withstand another trip right now anyway.

As I mentioned, I'm hoping to do some seed trading with most of you folks anyway this winter, and I'll be sure to get those 'Coconut' SG seeds to you in your envelope. I sent Mysticwill & Bassetmom's seeds (plus extras for Ellie) with the Herb RR that Barb hosted. If you don't want to wait, LMK, and I'll get an envelope in the mail to you with those seeds. Thanks again for sharing them, Kathy! Although I did finally get a few seeds from my plant, I wouldn't have had enough to go around.

Even though it ultimately didn't come off, this swap was still a lot of fun! I had fun rooting the SGs and comparing notes and swapping stories with the rest of you. I hope we will all give this another try in the spring!

Thank you!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I do hope those cuttings do well, and survive their hard trip. Maybe we can do one next spring.

I am worried about Barb though. I sure hope she's ok.
Have a safe trip critter.
kathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Kathy! Karen did a great job resuscitating & potting up those cuttings after their hard journey, and I'm hoping to see some new leaves on them soon.

DH and I are really looking forward to a couple of weeks off! He's worked some hard, long hours this year, so he really needs a break. This is his first time off this year -- he didn't even get to take any of the 3 summer holidays, and he worked a bunch of overtime & weekends too.

Barb is certainly in my prayers. Heather had a hectic weekend but said she'd try to get in touch with her and give us all an update on how she's doing.

(Zone 7a)

Evidently, the individual who bought the house next door - and has not yet moved in - emailed the post office to put a hold on his mail. He gave them our address instead of his address - hence no mail, Judy's brug returned to her and Kathy Ann's moldy SGs.

Jill, you don't need to send me any more scented geraniums - just distribute what's there among the others. One reason I joined this swap in the first place was that it seemed a good vehicle to help Barb's MS fund drive as well as to share SGs and other plants.

I hope you go into your vacation feeling the appreciation we all have for all your work in this swap.

Victorville, CA

Jill have a wonderful, relaxing vacation! Thank you for all of your hard work. I think spring sounds better for this swap. My nutmeg SGs were looking really good and then I think I over watered and now they look like they are dying again on me. If they actually croak I'll wait until spring to try to root them again. Here's to hoping everyone has a less eventful winter.
-Juli

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Karen, I think the SGs from Kathy will need a month or so to recover, so I'll overwinter them. Hopefully we'll have a spring swap, and if not I will send a bunch of SGs to Barb for Ellie's Seeds of Hope. I'm pretty sure you have all the same SGs I do now, but LMK if any don't make it, and I'll get another going for you.

We are indeed looking forward to a wonderful, relaxing vacation! Thanks.

(Zone 7a)

Hopefully the 2 flat-rate boxes of plants I sent to Barb for the pool and for Judy (Juttz) will be included in your spring SG swap. They are listed in my post in the SG Swap #3, on 8/25/05 at 1:04 pm. If not, I will certainly understand. Above all, I most hope for Barb's health improving.

May you all have a good winter and great spring swap - things are changing for me and I can't be part the spring swap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.