Anyone have iris they will give away for postage?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I would like just about anything. DIL loves yellows, the 2 hubbies love purple, and everyone like white. We are also big fans of oranges, pinks, bicolors, etc. In other words, any color will do. Would really like some other than the TB ones. I can't do trades right now, but would be glad to pay postage. Our dear DIL and I would both love more iris than we have. Named or not, we would be thrilled to have them. But we would need to know if they are LA, SIB, Japanese, Spuria, etc. so can give them the porper care. We live in central MO, zone 5.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2005 8:39 PM

(Zone 7a)

Leaflady, I can send you a fan of a double white Iris ensata. Have lost the name - it came from White Flower Farm. I'll include other kinds if there's enough - can't promise those right now. Postage would be fine. Okay for me to send out on Tuesday?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh, thank you. Yes Tuesday will be fine. I'll get the postage back to you as soon as I get the package.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2005 12:45 PM

(Zone 7a)

They're off! Have sent small starts of:

Iris ensata - Japanese iris - I grow this in ordinary garden conditions (partial shade), and the only water-er of my garden this summer has been Mother Nature. I do have a clay-based soil with lots of humus-y rotted compost and leaves dug in that is about 6.8 pH.

According to Pizzetti and Cocker, Flowers, these iris can also be grown under 1" - 2" of water (bog garden) during active growth, in sun or partial shade. They also say it is "hardy in all but exceptionally cold zones where the soil surface is liable to freeze in depth..." - so mulch just before or soon after your ground begins to freeze (we are zone 6 - you seem a little colder than us). It also requires acidic conditions.

Iris #1 is I. ensata - double, white we enjoy behind the chartreuse flowers of lady's mantle (Alchemilla mollis). A red cutleaf Japanese maple makes great contrast nearby with both leaves, overall habit and color.

Iris #2 is I. ensata - single dark purple, extremely prolific. That would be so pretty in a blue garden, edged with Geranium 'Brookside' with a blue or purple clematis somewhere in the background. A pale apricot or yellow climbing rose would be fun to mix in, but there's an orange shrub rose called 'Livin' Easy' that does wonderfully well for a friend who never sprays.

Iris #3 is the tall beared iris 'Superstition' - "black" purple, full sun, good drainage -- nice with various dianthus like D. plumarius, alwoodii, (cheddar), 'Agatha', 'Itzaul', etc. planted as edging in front.

Iris #4 - just 3 cloves of Iris reticulata. This is a 6" tall bulb that blooms in March, about 2 months before the last spring frost here. - nice in the herb garden just behind thymes where things are on the dry side. It's very humid here in summer, and I find that thymes and dianthus that grow over stones and gravel do very well, but not if they grow just in dirt and mulch.

Iris #5 - Iris pseudacorus - yellow, the tallest one - This is an INVASIVE species in some areas, so be sure to check your state's invasive species list. Ours took over a small upper pond, so we dumped it in the compost pile in dark, full shade, where it is doing extremely well. However, if it's not invasive where you live, and if you have full shade and still crave an iris, this is the iris for you. Let it come up through a drift of ferns. It has been equally happy in water and in nearby garden soil where it self-sowed - partial shade to sun for flowers.

Hope you enjoy these iris - let me know how they do. Karen

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi,
I have a purple/lavender unknown and a couple of Joyce Terry's . I can send for postage if you want..
Winnie

Thumbnail by winnietn
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

That was Joyce Terry .. Here is the unknown...

Thumbnail by winnietn
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Winnie, will be glad to send postage. Do you want it before you send or reimbursed? Thanks for the offers.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

You can send postage after they arrive. It may be Monday before I mail. Have a lot to do the next few days. If you don't hear from me Monday please e-mail and remind me. I take a lot of meds and my memory isn't the best.
Winnie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Winnie, I understand the busyness. Fall is a work intensive season. Were you affected by Katrina's aftermath?

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

We just got a little wind and a much needed rain from K. Is your addy in the exchange?
Winnie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

ok, I got a lovely box from the lady in Philadelphia, Pa yesterday. They are in great condition. Thank you so much. I'll get your postage out stat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.