worming horses and vermicomposting

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm planning on cleaning some stalls this weekend for the manure. They also have a place where they dump manure over time so there is also partially composted manure available.
How close to the horse being wormed can I gather the manure and not have problems with my worm bin? Does the worming medicine dissipate after a while so that after it's been in the pile for X weeks it's no longer a problem? I'm trying to figure out if I must be careful to only get fresh poop at least X number of weeks after worming.. What do you think?

Thanks,

Maggie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Excellent question. One I have never thought about, frankly. We get well rotted horse stable cleanings from just up the road but it is quite old and often already dirt. Maybe if you can just let it set and be rained on a few times or put it in with chopped leaves, straw, etc. and let it compost by itself you won't have to worry about the worms. We seem to have a good population of worms in ours all the time.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Leadlady,

Thanks for the reply. On a worm forum I was told to just leave it out until the native worms move in and then I'll know it's safe for my CanOWorms. A little slower but better than killing off my entire worm farm.

Thabks,

maggie

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have 7 horses & thus a constant & neverending supply of manure - well-rotted & otherwise.

Have never had a problem & doubt you would either. Horse wormers are fairly species-specific, & the worms they control - strongyles, tapeworms, etc., are completely different from the earthworms & other beneficial lifeforms that you want to keep flourishing. I can turn over a pile of bedding/manure that I dumped the day before & always find tons of earthworms, whether I've wormed recently or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.