Small compost pile?

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I have very limited space, does anyone have good ideas for setting up a small compost pile?

I only have 6 x 15 ft floor for my "garden". I'm willing to do a covered compost area (plants on top of a container that have to be moved to access the compost) if I can find one that will work and look decent, or I also have a storage shed, but I don't know how much room I'll have in there and it is enclosed. I'd prefer something I can make, rather than have to buy, but I'm willing to consider premade.

If you want to see the area I have a thread going on my garden here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/541281/

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Try a large trash can or 55 gallon barrel with holes drilled(or shot with a pistol in the case of the metal barrels)in them for ventilation. Put some holes in the bottom too so the water can drain out if they get rained on. I don't use lids on compost containers tho I suppose one could with no problem. Maybe a small mesh wire to let in the air and keep critters out.

We also use 30"-36" poultry netting to make a circle and use some type stake to hold it up.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Zhinu,
I am still learning about composting myself so I am probably not much help but you know I just made one the other day with some wood I had sitting in the garage doing nothing and on your porch I am wondering if you would want to make a bench size bin out of wood put hinges on the seat to flip up when you want to add to your compost. You could use it as a seat or a working area when repotting and such. I am not sure if they smell though mine doesn't seem to yet and never noticed a smell when it was a big compost pile instead of a bin maybe others could answer that question.

When I peaked at your garden the first thing I thought of was putting tomatoes in the bottom of the hanging pots you could still do flowers on the top kind of a two for one.

Good luck keep us up to date
Sandy

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Good ideas, thanks for your help.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Zhinu,

have you considered vermicomposting? Worm castings are great for your plants. It doesn't have to take up much space, time, or money and it's a great way to get rid of kitchen scraps. Try this link, it's the best on the web I've found so far.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/verm/

Maggie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Though I love hanging tomatoes, I have to caution you about their support. I used strong 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. The weight of the plant and the soil caused the handle to rip through the plastic. So use something you know will work.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I second the vermicomposting suggestion (and the link). I'm a balcony gardener with a shade porch, too, and that is the route I chose to go. No worries about smells from "messing up" this way. Also no worries about mixing greens and browns which I have little access to being that I'm a balcony gardener.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

You can also just bury your compostable items straight into the soil and let them decompose. I can't manage a compost pile anymore, and I just bury everything. Never have had a problem with flies or other pests.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.