Clematis question

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if anyone has started clematis from seed? I have collected bunches of the seeds off my vines and would like to experiment with starting them. Any info appreciated!
Susan

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Try this link, lots of good info.
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/seeds.htm

I have tried but don't have the patience. I usually start out ok, but about 3-4 months into it, I toss em. LOL

Thanks for the info. I don't think I have the patience either. Anyone wanting any of my seeds I will be happy to send them to you for a sase. But be sure to read the link above first. It apparently will take a lot of time and patience to be successful at this.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Susan,

I would love to try some of the seeds. Let me know where to send SASE.

Thank you very much for your generosity.

~Eliza~

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good for you Eliza. Glad you're willing to give it a try. As for me I'd rather crochet a roof cover. I'm patient but your attempt is the patience of Job.

Hi Eliza! Please check the address exchange for my address. If you can't find it, I will D-mail it to you.
Good luck, and I expect an update with glowing results!

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I wonder if hybrid clematis will come true from seed? I would guess not, but...

Has anyone had luck starting clematis from cuttings or layering?

I found this RHS article about clematis propagation (that probably is too much information, but)... http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publications/plantsman/0605/clematis.asp

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have had some success with cuttings, a node or 2 under the damp vermiculite, then a baggie on top & set in a cool shady spot. Seems to me I saw someone on another clematis thread say they had success with layering but don't remember much more then that.
I doubt the seeds of hybrids would come true.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Susan
You have beautiful blooms, I tried last year but no success. If you will have seedling please dont forget to share your experience with us.
Kaleem

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.