Seed Pods Splitting

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I've had three seed pods split, for no reason whatsoever. All I can attribute it to is wet weather. Does this make any sense? The seeds are no where near ripe, they are medium brown in color. This is on an Datura, marked from the nursery as only "White Angel Trumpet" (nice, I know).

These where the last of the seed pods I had. I was hoping to get some seeds from the plants before trading them or overwintering them.

I had posted about this before w/ a pic, if no one remembers the pic I can re-post it.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen? Could the pods split from too much moisture, since they are dessert plants? That's all I can figure.

Thanks for any info you can help with.
Heather

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I've had one plant at home and one at work do this with one pod closest to the ground. The seeds fell out and I did a germ test and they were fine, not sure everyone who has pods splitting early on would have viable seed, but I think it could be from all the rain we've been having :(

Perhaps someone else will come along with another possible reason for this splitting.

Laurrie

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Laurrie,
The rain and dampness is the only thing I can attribute it to. I wondered if anyone had had the same thing happen. It would be nice to hear from others if this ever happened to them. Anyone??? :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes let's keep this on top so others can let us know as well if it has happended and if so what they think is causing it :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.