tips for watering less???

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

I have plants in clay pots around my deck, but seem to have to water at least every two days, some daily. I am looking for your opinions about soil moistening products and other ways to cut down on watering. I have heard the sponge tip already. BTW, the plants are several varieties of daylilies, variegated iris, dwarf ivory halo dogwoods, gayfeathers, and hosta.

Thanks so much!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The water absorbing pellets do work great but to use them in so many containers can be very expensive! You might try topping each pot with spagnum moss or any mulch to help retain water. Also painting the pots with a polyverathane on the outside will reduce the evaporation of the porus clay. But, no matter what you do most pots will need frequent watering, especially in the heat of summer.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I agree with Zany. NEVER plant plants in clay pots unless you live somewhere that has continual rain. they dry out so quickly and never get wet enough for healthy plants. if you are gonna buy clay pots seal them like Zany said or buy enamelled pots like the blue ones that are so common at the moment.

Mark

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Zany! I have used clay pots forever and they work beautifully--you just have to water more frequently. That's why I was asking about watering tips. Clay lovers, don't despair!

Any other opinions on soil moist products?

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

Lining the pot with the absorbant pad from a babies disposable diaper and then adding the soil will help to solve that problem and dollar for dollar they are cheaper than the pellets. Also if you glaze the inside of your pots with a clear coat of waterbased polyurethane it will help to slow the evaporation of the water through the clay.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Great tip CARRIGAN!!!!!!

I did the same thing as Carrigan but took it a step farther. I soaked the disposable diapers overnight and then tore them up and removed the plastic liners the next day and added the crumbled and moist granules directly to my soiless potting mix. Worked great. I used the mix in all my containers, hanging baskets and flower pouches. I purchased a bag of them for under five dollars and had enough to mix with my soil for lots of containers. The heat here has been incredible and I'm not watering nearly as much as I used to. Good Luck, Kathy

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I know what you mean about the clay pots! Somehow they just seem to look better than other types to me! I have coated mine and use the moss on top and it seems to help a little but I still have to water them often!

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 10:12 AM

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

While at Wal-Mart the other day (buying mulch) I saw a can of "Clay Pot Sealer". It was in an aerosol can. I was in a rush & didn't check it out though.

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

Put a plastic pot inside a clay one if you just have to have that clay "look". There's also the new plasticotta pots that are available, and besides being more water retentive, they don't crack in the freeze, and are tons lighter if you have a big pot. I don't know where y'all buy y'all's diapers, but I don't think they're all that cheap (no babies here to compare costs) when compared with this site http://www.watersorb.com/ for water crystals. Finally, the best way to keep your pots from drying out is to install a drip irrigation system with a timer. You can customize how much water your plants get with different emitters, and the only expensive part in the whole shebang is the timer. http://www.dripworks.com/

You can soak your pots to the rims in water until the soil is visibly wet on top...you will still have to water in high temps but not quite as often and your roots will love you for it...don't let them soak past that saturation point though or you will drown them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.