Vines that trail

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I have a raised garden-bed with concrete sides. Next year I would like to plant vines that would trail AND fill in well.

Ideas?

Joan

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

What size is the bed? And, what sun exposure?
What are "your colors"?
-T

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

seedpicker_TX,

I'm pretty well starting from scratch. Put some inexpensive mums in there for the Fall.

Size is about 20' x 8'. That's a real rough guess as I'm no good at guessing size. Remind self to measure.

It gets afternoon sun. Colours? I like 'em all. Because the concrete is pale, I with thinking of the purple potatoe vine. What do you think?

Joan

Are you wanting one vine "in mass" to be a groundcover and other perennials coming up through it?
Or, a vine patch with mixed vines?

So, your bed is in shade or semi-shade until afternoon?

Are you referring to the solanum species, or the ipomoea 'blackie'?
-T

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

seedpicker_TX,

Mainly, I want it to trail over the wall, although a limited continuation of it in the bed inself would give better balance.

Joan

How raised IS this wall?

Any chance you could post a picture of this area?
-T

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Are you thinking of the Tri-Color Sweet Potato Vine? Mine have purple leaves near the top, but are var. green and white farther down.

Here is a bit of mine.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Vinca vine?

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I love the Tri-color SPV MG but mine seem to be very sensitive and only do well in a pot....... what are your growing conditions.....

Do you know what the name of the ones in the lower left hand corner ? They do well in the ground and they are a bit of a different color .....

Thumbnail by vs71099
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Caroline Bronze...

These are in a pot, but last year I grew them in planters. The planters were built along the sides of the house I was renting, 8 inches wide and 20 feet long. And 4 feet off the ground. One side was full sun facing southwest and one side was part sun facing northwest. There wasn't any noticeable difference in growth or color.

Plus when we moved, I dug everything up and my kids got a huge kick out of the tubers. I had planned to replant them this spring, but "somebody" threw them out on me.

I'd consider some million bells, carpet rose, hmmmm lantana maybe?

What else do you want to plant in it? Something with height in the center?

mg

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

seedpicker_TX, Here ya go.

Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ron.....

As for the tri-colors maybe it was just not my year for them ...... they sure are pretty though ..... and worth a try .....

Joan-
Thank you! That actually helps a LOT!

There are so many wonderful cascading plants that it would be hard to pick just one:

origanum rotundiflorum 'kent beauty'(ornamental cascading oregano), bacopa(blue or white)
Plumbago auriculata
rosemary 'irene'(cascades, trails)
LICORICE VINE ( Helichrysum petiolare)
TRAILING VERBENA
trailing nasturtiums

...and I'm sure I'll think of more...
-T

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Thank you T,

I have duly C/P into my Excel Plants Records.

Joan

I have blue bacopa, I really like that one too. It makes a pretty dense mat over the side.

mg

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is a beautiful garden vs71099

Joan

also the purple lantana has more of a trailing habit than the other lantanas...it would make a fine cascading groundcover, also...
-T

Gazelle, CA

Thunbergia (black-eyed susan vine) would be nice, too.

Gazelle, CA

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/248/index.html
It loves to climb, but if it has nothing to climb on, it will trail.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv the Caroline Bronze potatoe vine! I've never seen that color. I dug up my black potatoe vines and couldn't believe the tubers on them. This will be the first time I'll be overwintering them. I did post a thread.
:) Donna

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Donna, I googled for your Caroline Bronze potatoe vine and came up with two pictures ~ one dark purple and the other lighter. What colour are they?

Joan, still working on what vines to use in new bed next year

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Caroline Bronze is the one that vs7109 has. This is the one I have.

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Wow Donna, they are humungeous. Will you keep them in the fridge or a cool place?

Would you give us a hyperlink to your other thread please.

Joan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here is the thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/544615/
I was hoping for more info on how others have overwintered them.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I posted my first time tuber saving experiences on your other thread perennialgirl..... mgarr I think gave some really good advice and I hope following the sand and spritz - I'll have better luck....

It's almost time to start digging in my zone ... I'm sad to see them all go .... they've done so well this year .....

Thumbnail by vs71099

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.