Bagworms...

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I was so busy looking down and keeping an eye on spider mites and other critters that I hadn't noticed the number of bagworms that have invaded my evergreens..... These are very tall mature trees - what can I do to save them ......

Thanks for any help .... Valarie

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

We moved into a place where all the arborvitae (20'+ tall), as well as all the deck structures, were COVERED with them.

I just spent as much time as possible picking off as many as I could reach & squashing them on a regular basis. It took 2 years of diligence, but with no chemicals my evergreens - & everything else - are 100% bagworm free.

I've heard that sprayings/dustings with BT will also deter them, but once they've built their little "bags" they cease feeding, & they have to feed to absorb the BT.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

You climbed clear up in the tree to pick them..... I was hoping that would be my last resort.... but it sounds like I better get out the ladder and start climbing ...... I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend..... Thanks

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, unfortunately. And I HATE heights - lol!!1

Obviously I couldn't reach all of them, but the work did save the day. One tree in particularly that we thought we'd lose because of the defoliation bounced back in rare form & now you wouldn't even guess that it had ever been touched by pests.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Prevent and contol link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_9370_control-bagworms.html

If they are in my reach, I pick them and then burn them. : /

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

great info .... thanks... I'm still picking them off but you better believe this is on the calendar for next year to get an earlier start ....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've even had some luck using the hose nozzle turned to full-force stream to knock the bags apart when they were too high for me to reach. It doesn't get all of them, and for a severe infestation it might not get enough of them, but it's worked for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.