Scary Spider Beast! Poisonous??

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

I was watering in my front garden today and saw this guy crawl by. Scared the heck out of me!! Anyone know what type of spider this is? and if it is poisonous?

I seem to have quite a lot of spiders here in GA, some of them scarier than others. -The black widow nest in the garage last year was the worst!! I may never go barefoot again!! In fact, I'm always a little bit nervous about my dog's bare paws out back. (not that I'd be cruel enough to make him wear doggie booties)

My inkling is to just hire an exterminator to kill them all around the outside of the house. But a neighbor said that some spiders are good for the bug-balance. Do you guys generally let spiders alone, or do you actively try to get rid of them??

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thumbnail by misskaffee
Jamaica Plain, MA

i generally let spiders be.. I lived in NM where black widows were everywhere. Those I tend to kill if they are inside the house...However, the only worthwhile advice I have is to simply exhibit caution. Killing them will not get rid of them. There will always be more to come. Just be cautious and you won't be bothered. I have arachnophobia bt simly learned to live with them....

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I believe that's just a large Wolf Spider, not poisonous, but definitely scary looking, & I should know, being a confirmed Arachnophobic since I was a small child.

While I do kill any poisonous Brown Recluse or Black Widow spiders I come across in my barn, unless in the house, I let all the others alone.

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

thanks, i appreciate the replies. i'm WAY too scared of them to actually kill them myself - thank goodness for exterminators!! had to call them in for the black widows last year.
i'll try to stay cool about these creepy things for now - as long as they stay away from my dog and out of the house!!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2005 1:08 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.