White Hyacinth bean vine not blooming

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Hi! Can anyone give me some advice for my white hyacinth bean vine? It does NOT bloom. It makes a tremendous vine but not a single bloom. The purple one also makes a great vine and beautiful blooms and beans. They are planted in the same conditions. I planted some last year and didn't get any white ones to bloom, but tried again this year and still nothing. Has anyone else had this experience? I am in northeast Oklahoma zone 6a I think. Thanks for any help!
Susan

Thought I would move this up in the list. Maybe someone will see it and help.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Susan, Just saw part of an article saying the white lab-lab,
dolichos, will not bloom till the fall. I believe they require a
long growing season.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie! Can you direct me to that thread? Appreciate your help!
Susan

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Susan,
www.greenhousegrower.com has them listed with the short day length bloomers. Look under growers tools.
My professional grower friend grew them a few yrs ago. The
purple were blooming here in zone 7 by late June, early July.
The white lab lab vine was huge but by Aug, still no blooms. I think it finally bloomed in mid to late fall.
If you don't get blooms this fall, try starting them inside next
spring to get an earlier start.

Jackie

Thank you so much for the information. I will give the early start a try next year. The vines look promising this year, they are huge. Thanks again!
Susan

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Susan, Mine has just started blooming. Linda

Well, the freeze last night has done this in. Never did bloom. I don't think I will mess with it next year. I am going to do JMG's!! Maybe I will have more luck with those. The purple hyacinth bean vine did fantastic.
Susan
=^..^=

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I did get a few seed pods. I also planted moonvine in the same area. I really liked the moonvine better. The purple and white hyacinths have the smaller flowers so, to me, there was more vine than flowers. On the moonvine the flowers are huge and cover alot of area. I thought I lost the MV seed pods to the frost but I have been able to pull several off and they are now drying. They look like dead buds but inside the chambers are the seeds. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/89433.html http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/10807/

Yeah, I did the same thing, I hope the seeds are viable, a couple have already gone to little brown/tan things. Those probably aren't, but I have some that look pretty good. I am hoping. I really like the moon vine too. I like my purple hyacinth bean way out on the fence but I am going for something else definitely where the white one was planted.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

When my hyacinth bean vine was done blooming and the frost had hit it several years ago, I drug it out to the compost pile. The next spring I had all sorts of beans sprouting. I know there were no dried ones left on the vine, so they must have continued drying after they were thrown onto the pile. Now if I had purposefully decided to winter sow these, they would most likely have failed. They seem to make up their own minds.
I found the white hyacinth bean vine disappointing. The fragrance to me was sickeningly sweet also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I planted the white one last year and it had time to flower and set seed, but it was so hit and miss with the blooms and in my book, they weren't attractive at all. I didn't plant the seeds from mine this year. Not worth my time.

I am not going to take up my space with it next year. The vine was huge and attractive, but I am going JMG's this year. LOL
Susan
=^..^=

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.