mealybugs

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a small gardenia in a pot that has been plagued by mealybugs. I've been brushing them out of the stem, leaf and bud crevices with a stiff artist brush, washing the plant with a dish detergent spray, and spraying the plant with a "safe" insecticide. But, these little critters keep reappearing. Where do they come from? How can I get rid of them once and for all? I'm finally getting a few good flower buds which have not dropped, but only because I've been brushing off the darn things every other day.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know which spray you're using, but I've had wonderful luck with Safer Insecticidal Spray for "Roses & Ornamentals" on my orchid collection that recently became thoroughly infested with Mealybugs.

The problem is you do have to repeat the treatment a certain number of times - the initial spraying, then a repeat in 5-7 days, & then repeating the series again in another couple of weeks to be sure you've gotten any strays.

San Benito, TX(Zone 9b)

For mealy bugs and all infestations this summer,I wash my plants with 1 tsp of dawn dish detergent and 1 cup of water. I spray it on then rinse it off. I hand wash the leaves and stems. Then I spray the plant with 1/2 strength rubbing alcohol and water, then I rinse this off. It left my plant a little bedraggled for a while, but it got rid of mealy bugs and plants are reviving. I'm just saying it worked for me.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the tips. Haven't had a gardenia bloom in months!!! I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

How do Gardenia react to rose pride, fertilizer and systemic insecticide?, --it has worked for me on other problem ornamental loving insects.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.