Question about tire gardens

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

My mom wants to use a tractor tire to put a vegetable garden, But I was concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. She said she has heard of people using car tires to grow potatoes in, but I just don't know. Anyone know if this is safe or not?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Someone had mentioned on one of my threads that tirres got too hot for potatoes.... tcfromky has directions for making lovely tire planters I am sure he would share with you. I have only seen flowers in his. As for safety I don't see why not, they don't want break down in the landfills why would they around your veggies-LOL?!?

-Kim

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I am more concerned with the materials the tires are made of (petroleum products) leaching into the soil, kind of like you aren't supposed to use treated wood because it can leach the chemicals the wood was treated with, which contaminates the vegetables.

Thanks for the advice, though... BTW, she was going to plant tomatoes.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I personally wouldn't use the tires for planters. I haven't been able to find anything definitive on the topic of leaching, and I know people who do use them. As old tires age more and more, the color and texture appear to be in an obvious state of deterioration. Those chemicals are going somewhere! I simply prefer not to take the chance.

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

My dad planted potatoes in a stack of tires (in Alaska--it didn't get too hot). He ended up with more slugs than potatoes. For that reason alone, I wouldn't risk it.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

but the tractor tire would make a grat snadbox for grandkids, or a flower box!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.