Can any one help me with this mess

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Hope I am in the right forum for this!!!!! . here goes.
I got some seeds of what is said to be Eremurus Robustus, OK so far. looking in PF Robustus is bright yellow! mine is white! searching on foxtail made me even more confused :) when I looked after the colour the hight did not match. Now I been searching for several hours on google and even in botanical gardens all over the world I get mixed messages.
For me it is a big deal to get this right even if I am new to gardening. I dont want to just be putting pretty things in the flowerbeds, I want to learn, both of the origin, names and how to make them thrive. This eremurus is white and hight 1meter 75cm about (6 ft)

changed Robusta to Robustus

This message was edited Aug 27, 2005 12:16 PM

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I just noticed in a White Flower Farm catalog an offering of Eremerus robustus that matches yours. Is there a 'robusta' and a 'robustus'? Wondering if that could be the confusion.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

on the envelope from the sellar it says robustus, but this is a privat person and also she could have got it wrong.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

that was not what made me cofused. In the tread I just missed, being tired to look for info at several hundred pages or so :)
Many pages have listed it as Robustus ONLY comes in this colour and stenophyllus only have that colour and Asphodelaceae in that a.s.o
Am I wrong in suspecting it to be that all these can be of many colour. depending on "breeding" or places they grow or the hight the plant can have. I have also been searching dutch and deutsch googlesites.
Janett

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Since there is'nt a variety name, I'd assume it's a species, probably a selection. In many species there is considerable variation in color. That could account for the differences you're seeing in reference pics. Sounds like the most likely thing is that the seeds are mislabled though.

E. robustus is pale pink in flower colour, the other colours may be hybrids http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpomjun.asp

I'll take a look in the PF to review the entry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.