my Burning Bush isn't looking so hot anymore!!

Cambridge, ON(Zone 5b)

Near the end of spring, I planted a dwarf B.B. It was doing well until recently. It seems individual branches are dying off, becoming dull and dry. I can't see anything on it or around it that would answer this mystery..any suggestions??

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

How was it planted? I planted mine 3 years ago this coming spring. I dug the hole as deep and round as suggested. Filled it with water after using a half bag of tree and shrub mix and some sphagum a half and half mixture. Then I set the bush in and filled it halfway with more tree and shrub mix and water. Then the rest of the way and added topsoil and watered it again. No mulch the first season of any kind. Watered it weekly about 2" of water.

I've only had one tree do as you are describing and found the tap root broke in half when I planted it. Of course it took a year to figure it out specialy when I dug it back out to replace it and seen the damage I must have done while firmly packing done the hole as I had filled it.

Thumbnail by gardening101usa
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Some general thoughts:

1. Euonymus is not a tap-rooted genus. They develop a very fibrous spreading root system, so taproot damage should not be a concern in this case. Planting too deeply, or planting a container-grown plant without first washing out the potting mix and spreading the roots, is more likely to cause problems.

2. Burningbush is a terrible weed in many areas, but I'm not sure about your area of Ontario. You may be contributing to the problem if you plant it in a location where it has the potential to seed into natural areas.

3. Never amend the planting hole significantly with organic matter or anything else, despite the traditional advice to do so. You are setting the plant up for soil interface problems and hydrologic problems. If your soil is so poor that you must amend, then amend the entire yard or planting bed. However, always mulch lightly -- it stabilizes soil temperature, controls evaporation, encourages beneficial microbes, and helps control annual weeds.

4. With any Euonymus, you need to check very closely for scale insects. They can cause symptoms like you describe, and can go unnoticed until the plant is nearly dead.

Guy S.

Cambridge, ON(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the advice. I didn't know that this shrub was considered a weed in some areas. I don't see many of them around, unless they are in someone's garden. My neighbour said the same thing happened to hers, but she left it and it came back the following year. I have replanted mine, so I will have to wait and see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.