Asparagus Pea...awesome color

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I grew this for the 1st time this year. Though I loathe the plant habit, it has amazing crimson red blooms that are a color I'm not accustomed to in my gardens. They're quite small, but I'd imagine a mass planting or basket of them would be awesome. I have just one plant that sprawls out a few inches from the ground to a diameter of about 15inches.

Anyone else growing this, and what's your opinion? Maybe mine is just dwarfed because its way back in the yard, in an area I haven't watered during out extreme drought this summer.

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Very pretty, Sandy. I love that deep red color. Where did you find seed? Why do they call it the asparagus pea?

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I agree with the basket idea since I grew them this year for the 1rst time too and it seems that my taste goes to the flower not to the veggie... It does not seem to grow bigger here, at first I thought I was buying seeds for an asian vegetable that is named otherwise :Psophocarpus tetragonolobus. Here is a link where you will see why both are called winged pea or asparagus pea. http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/psop_tet.cfm

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, learn something new every day here at Dave's Garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.