3 Rooted Cuttings... Red Rocket Crape Mrytle

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought a Red Rocket Crape Mrytle in a 5 gallon container. I was examining it prior to planting and found that my one Red Rocket is really 3 separate plants in 1 pot. Unfortunately by the time I bought it, the roots had meshed together. Ideally, I would like to have single trunked trees. Would the crape mrytle survive if I took a knife and cut the root ball in 3? Would I have better success in keeping them alive by manually separating as many roots as possible? Am I stuck with a 3 trunked tree?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have cut and separated them before. I think they will be OK. Good luck. Cindy

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

They seem to be VERY hardy plants... I think they would be fine. My Rottie dug one of mine up.... I looked for it for 3 days... when I finally found it in his **STASH PILE** it was dry as a bone and NO dirt on it at all... I potted it , watered it good and it now has lil green leaves popping out everywhere...so if mine could survive that....yours should make it thru dividing...lol
Sue

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

yes veronica. I divided one plant in three of cm Pepperming Lace and all three growing great. Two are about the same size and third is a little bit shorter. Also training as single trunk trees. get a little top heavy but I have them staked

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Are you maybe saying you don't really want the 2 extra branches? Or will they even have roots after you divide them? I would be interested in even one or better yet both of them so I can share with our DIL if you want to get rid of them and they have roots.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I have a red rocket crepe too, just got it this summer and I LOVE IT!!! I was wondering about starting new plants from a cutting but dont know how to go about doing that...any body out there willing to give advice?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.