Purple Moon Flower Question

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone !!

I have a question on a flower that i just purchased at a local greenhouse. I bought what I thought was a purple moonflower, it's about 3' tall and has quite a few blooms on it, when I got it home I pulled out the plant stick, on one side it said purple moonflower and the other side it said Datura Metelloides when I looked this up in the plant files it came up as 2 totally different flowers. The lady at the green house said they bring them inside for the winter and take it out for the summer. So I am not really sure as to what I purchased or how to take care of it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks,
Mindy

This is the flower and my cat Tallie giving me her 2 cents!

Thumbnail by hairgirl5
North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

This is a close up of one of the blooms

This message was edited Aug 25, 2005 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by hairgirl5
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That sure looks like a Datura to me. I don't know too much about them. Maybe someone else can tell you how to care for it.

Cindy

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

and some more pictrures

Thumbnail by hairgirl5
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Mindy,

That is a beautiful plant. I like how it is more of a tree form rather than a shrub. It looks like a datura to me also. I've grown the purple datura for the past 3 years. I bought them from 3 different greenhouses. They all got aphids. I suggest that you get a systemic insect control and treat it, or you will infect many of your other plants. I've never overwintered datura before but I have overwintered brugsmansia. They are similar. The brug likes to have soil evenly moist. They also tend to get spider mites. Systemic will help with that also. This year I found a variegated datura that I will try to overwinter also and take cuttings. They are very to find and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one again. Hope you have good luck with it.

Kathy

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

What is a systemic insect control !!
Thanks Kathy

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Look for Bayer Rose and Flower Care. It's in a blue bottle. Personally I prefer the liquid form. When you use it on your plants, it penetrates them giving them a long term insect control or prevention. This sure beats spraying all the time after you get bugs hoping they don't infect other plants also.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

It's datura - mine have never overwintered. I collect seed and start them new each year. They are gorgeous and never fail to do well in the garden

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I also treat them as annuals. I have never tried to overwinter any.

NOTE:
All parts of plant are poisonous if ingested

Zephyrhills, FL

When most people say moonflower, they are referring to a night blooming relative of morning glory.lately I hear some people referring to Datura species as moonflowers. These were once referred to as Devil's Trumpets. Call them Daturas, a pretty name really, and nobody gets confused.Yes, the plant you bought is a Datura.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.