My gourd volunteer

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought I had killed all the ones I started in the spring and just put the soil and all in the compost bin. Well I shoulda waited a little more and composted better because after putting some compost on one of my beds this little baby started to sprout. I had no clue what it was, it coulda been anything. It went from a cute little fine to this...

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

way down there is where it started in the first place..

Looking a little withered, hasnt rained in about a week

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

And then I saw this, isnt it cute? Its now about 6-7 inches long and has some brothers and sisters coming in too.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I didnt realize that they grew so fast! It seems like if I took the time to sit out there and watch I would be able to actualy see it grow.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Crossville, TN

Looks like a nice Dipper Gourd...do you have them trellised so they won't curl? Nice, straight dippers are great. Jo

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey Jo, I guess in a way they are trellised, LOL, it grew up on my deck and has taken over the railings. I think this one Im going to have to tie up tho, its touching the floor of the deck now and I really like how straight the neck is. There are several other gourds growing on this vine too but I think they should be ok because they started higher up on the railing than this one.
Jo I have this because of you sharing your seeds with me earlier this year,Thank you so very much! They are really neat to watch and actualy see in person.

Crossville, TN

DC...you are hooked...once you do gourds you love them!!

Even if some of your dippers "curl" they make great Geese...painted white...bow around the neck...painted beak, and add the eyes...I have a picture of one here somewhere...I called it my Christmas Goose...and it graces my DD's table eah year. Jo

Edited to add the Christmas Goose link....
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/369921/

This message was edited Sep 1, 2005 8:39 PM

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Jo that turned out beautiful! Now I have to grow some more to get them to curl too. I have some others that Im going to need to grow now, LOL. my yard wont need mowed next year if I plant even just one of each.

Crossville, TN

If you want the "goosey" look...just plant Swan Gourds...they curl naturally if not trellised. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.